What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel level sender with flop tube

SonexGuy

The plans give the basic modifications if adding a flop tube, but have no information about:

1. How do you seal up all the holes in the access plate? Without the fuel level sender, there are all the holes for the platenuts and the large hole for the sender. Does Vans sell an access plate without all the holes for the fuel level sender?

2. How do you install the fuel level sender in the second bay? They just say to install it in the baffle. But the baffle is very thin material compared to the access plate. Where does it go (dimensionally) in the baffle?

Any help and/or photos would be appreciated.

Access panel

The plans give the basic modifications if adding a flop tube, but have no information about:

1. How do you seal up all the holes in the access plate? Without the fuel level sender, there are all the holes for the platenuts and the large hole for the sender. Does Vans sell an access plate without all the holes for the fuel level sender?

2. How do you install the fuel level sender in the second bay? They just say to install it in the baffle. But the baffle is very thin material compared to the access plate. Where does it go (dimensionally) in the baffle?

Any help and/or photos would be appreciated.

Vans sells a blank access panel.
There is a drawing for the baffle mounted sender. Sorry, I don't recall the number. Probably an OP drawing.

Personally, I used sealed nutplates. I can look up the part number if you want. They look like little conical shaped metal caps with a nut plate. It's sealed with an o-ring but Inalso sealed them with proseal. No worries about fuel seaping past threads and no need to seal the screws.

I searched the Vans web site and store, but didn't find anything. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Are you looking to buy a blank plate?

Why not trace out the existing plate on a scrap piece of aluminum and cut it out with tin snips? Would take maybe 10 minutes to cut out, drill the holes and debur.

Back