What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Placement

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
On my 14A the eLT is installed aft under the VS. the Artex 345 seems small enough to fit in the same space on the RV8. Anyone done this? Is there enough room for it?

Elt position

I am not sure exactly where you mean, but I have placed mine behind the baggage compartment on a tray with the after battery. I have then led the antenna wire through to the antenna mounted between the seats on the left side.the antenna itself is angled slightly to miss the canopy.
Regards, Brent

If you are asking about antenna placement then understand that antenna placed under the tail fairing will attenuate the signal output. ACR has a subscription for $40 to test the installation and tests to verify the satellite is receiving the signal from the ELT. The subscription is for 4 months so you have plenty of time to test antenna location.

Also a handheld network analyzer for $80 can be used to test the SWR for the antenna placement. At high frequencies metal near an antenna creates output interference. I have an RV3 and wanted to protect the antenna in a crash. If you go down in a wooded area chances of your antenna being sheared off is high so I want to prevent that from happening. Most people don’t realize when the ELT goes off, the unit does not send out the 406 signal immediately, it takes about 50 seconds before sending out the first signal and then sends out the 406 signal once per minute. The 121.5 signal is continuous but essentially useless. If you remember to activate the ELT before you make an emergency landing great but it’s very easy to forget to activate it during an emergency.

The SWR for my antenna placement was not very good, about 30-40% of the power is reflected back however using the subscription I verified the satellite was receiving the signal

IMG_5262.jpg

I was thinking not about the antenna as much as the whole elt box. Will it fit on the aft deck and be able to slide in and out under the VS with the HS installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 40
Back