What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMC 307 / 507 dual install

agent4573

Well Known Member
The installation manual says that the g3x can support dual 507 AP control head installation, but is it possible to support a 307 and a 507 at the same time? I assume you would you need wiring to the servos for both CAN and 232 comm. Would the system allow control using both types of comm though, or would it start fighting itself?

The installation manual says that the g3x can support dual 507 AP control head installation, but is it possible to support a 307 and a 507 at the same time? I assume you would you need wiring to the servos for both CAN and 232 comm. Would the system allow control using both types of comm though, or would it start fighting itself?

No sure of the answer, but I'm curious as to why 2 control heads in and RV-7? Or are you asking for a larger plane?

References to the GMC Mode Controller throughout this manual apply equally to the GMC 305, GMC 307, and GMC 507 except where specifically noted.
IM rev AQ, pg 2-10. Up to two GMC 507 Mode Control panels can be installed.
Leave pins 1 and 2 open to configure as GMC 507 #1. Strap pins 1 and 2 together to configure as GMC 507 #2. GMC 507 #2 will act as a remote controller only, monitoring is turned off and the AP disconnect and TO/GA inputs are left unconnected.
Short answer NO.

Good luck

No sure of the answer, but I'm curious as to why 2 control heads in and RV-7? Or are you asking for a larger plane?

We're trying to test a new avionics box that's under development. It's been integrated into a dynon system and they would like to test it in a full Garmin panel. The communication is over Rs232 and emulates a 307 communication structure. Only problem is that our panel has a 507 installed so I'm trying to find the details on how to best send 232 commands to the autopilot servos with minimal disruption to the CAN based setup in there now.

I might just have to route the serial wires to the right pins on the servos and pull the 507 out of the system while we're doing the testing. But the exact details evade me still.

Last edited:
Don't know why you'd want two in an RV size plane but if you do they need to be the same (307/307 or 507/507).

307 uses RS 232 to communicate, 507 uses CAN bus. (Open picture to see)

Attachments

• 0E1AD02A-9DD5-434A-8DF3-AE43F63676C4.jpeg
    0E1AD02A-9DD5-434A-8DF3-AE43F63676C4.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 32
Back