What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv8 elevator stop

tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
What is used for aft/up elevator stop. While doing SB on tail, I noticed the elevator horn is hitting the aft vertical stab cross brace. I know this can’t be right.

Yes, that is right. You notch out that cross piece to the correct depth to get the elevator deflection that is specified. The horn hits it.

Just to add a tiny bit of minutia, there can be enough variation in the elevator weldaments such that the notch could be of slightly different depths Left/Right for both controls to contact at the same time.

I thought I am the only who has this problem. If time permits, I may put a delrin plate on top of the elevator stop so the arm will hit the delrin. Something to do the for post phase 1 testing.

I thought I am the only who has this problem. If time permits, I may put a delrin plate on top of the elevator stop so the arm will hit the delrin. Something to do the for post phase 1 testing.

I thought of doing this as well, but in reality, it's just not a problem. The only time you "hit" this stop is when doing "flight controls free and correct" or if you forget to secure the aircraft on a windy day.

Back