What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X SXM WX Issue

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I've recently noticed that the map page displays the purple/opaque color associated with no radar coverage across the entire map even though there is a recent radar picture timestamp. When I go to the WX page all of the SXM WX products (including radar) show properly.

FIS-B is displaying without issues.

A call and email to G3Xpert hasn't revealed anything I haven't already tried. Has anyone else experienced this?

NO WX on map page

SXM%20MAP-M.jpg

SXM WX on WX Page

SXM%20WX%20Page-M.jpg

FIS B On Map Page

FIS-B%20WX%20Map-M.jpg

There is regional data and wide area data. If regional has not come in yet or was not complete you can see that.

If you continue on, it will go away once it gets everything it needs.

There is regional data and wide area data. If regional has not come in yet or was not complete you can see that.

If you continue on, it will go away once it gets everything it needs.

Over an hour? I even tried different scale as well. Why would it show on the "WX" page and not on the main map page? Strange I've never had any issues with it until now. It has been going on for at least a week or so.

Over an hour? I even tried different scale as well. Why would it show on the "WX" page and not on the main map page? Strange I've never had any issues with it until now. It has been going on for at least a week or so.

That’s definitely not normal for it to take over an hour. Normally should take no longer than a couple refresh cycles at most. I would escalate with the Garmin folks. They should be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I flew 3 hours today and XM weather never showed up on the map page- all purpled out. XM weather works fine on the WX page. One screen is wired in and the other is Bluetooth but neither will work. Sorry about the sideways pics.

Attachments

• EDCEABCF-E754-461A-B33A-8CFA8BC6F668.jpg
    EDCEABCF-E754-461A-B33A-8CFA8BC6F668.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DFEC3662-1BF0-43D3-9086-863DB5C5A2E9.jpg
    DFEC3662-1BF0-43D3-9086-863DB5C5A2E9.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Guys,

What do you have for a SXM receiver? Also, do you know the software versions of the G3X Touch and SXM receiver when this has happened?

Thanks!

I have a customer who sent you an email just the other day with the same issue. Just finished updating all his SW G3XT, GDL51R.

Hi Guys,

What do you have for a SXM receiver? Also, do you know the software versions of the G3X Touch and SXM receiver when this has happened?

Thanks!

Katie,

I have the latest version of the G3X touch software and while I was at SNF at the Garmin booth, the salesman set me up with a Garmin Pilot courtesy account to be able to update my GDL52. So everything is up to date but I still occasionally have the problem.

I saw this issue when I had selected the "SXM Base Radar". As soon as I selected "Composite" everything was there. For some reason the base radar images must not have been available

To all that have had the Purple screen problem associated with this thread and SXM... Please be advise that I looked at my MFD Map settings under the “Weather” page and saw that my SXM Weather reflectivity was set to “Base”. So I changed the reflectivity setting to composite, and the purple screen problem went away. And I was able to see that all of the weather radar displaying on the weather page was also correctly displaying on the Map page as expected, Problem solved. I'm not sure how my setting got to BASE because I can't remember ever doing that...

Thanx for the help everyone!! :)

Back