What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight Systems

kentlik

Well Known Member
Hey all!
This is a request for information post.

Hoping to find out if anyone has received any AFS 5600 or 6600s from AFS.

Thanks,
Kent

I just installed an AFS panel with dual 6600s and IFD 440.
Great panel and great support by AFS.

I choose a quick panel build.
Quick panel is basically a preconfigured custom panel.
I am glad I went this route with my retrofit. My goal was to get back in the air as soon as possible.

I received my AFS panel with dual 6600`s and an IFD 540, Garmin 245 and a little sub panel for the center console about a month ago. All really nice, with great advice and support during the creation process. The only thing I'm still waiting for is air vent/com jacks.

This is a new build and as opinioned above, the AFS panel has saved many months, and perhaps even a year of time educating myself, planning, acquiring and installing a comparable design of my own. I believe the cost savings, if any, for the latter would have been neglegable.

AFS makes a superb panel tailored to perfectly fit your RV.

I have been meaning to post images of my upgrade of RV7 with my new AFS IFR panel.

Some likes on AFS

If you get a dual AFS EFIS system you have 10 serial ports.
Dynon has 5 ports on a single or dual installation. It can make a difference if you have more than 5 serial devices. I ended up using 9 ports.

ACM electronic circuit breaker control panel.

Designing was easy with there quick panel service. panel preconfigured and was a drop in replacement. All my input device , ADHRS, AP, audio, comms, nav, IFD, ADS-B etc worked on 1st power up.

Great documentation and support.

I choose a IFD 440. I used a Garmin 375 in my IRF trainer. I like the IFD 440 much better so far. Then menus are intuitive and fast to navigate.

Max

Attachments

• 20230109_173855.jpg
    20230109_173855.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20230114_141111.jpg
    20230114_141111.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 175
Serial ports?

Would you mind going through what accessories used the serial port inputs in your case? Trying to gauge what I need to plan for…

I have been meaning to post images of my upgrade of RV7 with my new AFS IFR panel.

Some likes on AFS

If you get a dual AFS EFIS system you have 10 serial ports.
Dynon has 5 ports on a single or dual installation. It can make a difference if you have more than 5 serial devices. I ended up using 9 ports.

ACM electronic circuit breaker control panel.

Designing was easy with there quick panel service. panel preconfigured and was a drop in replacement. All my input device , ADHRS, AP, audio, comms, nav, IFD, ADS-B etc worked on 1st power up.

Great documentation and support.

I choose a IFD 440. I used a Garmin 375 in my IRF trainer. I like the IFD 440 much better so far. Then menus are intuitive and fast to navigate.

Max

Hey all!
This is a request for information post.

Hoping to find out if anyone has received any AFS 5600 or 6600s from AFS.

Thanks,
Kent

We have shipped several thousand AF-5600 EFIS screens.
Van's factory RV-15, RV-14 and RV-7 have AFS EFIS screens installed.

We have shipped around 100 AF-6600 EFIS screens since Oshkosh.

We currently have AF-5600 screens in stock and ready to ship with the new CPU.

We are currently shipping AF-6600 EFIS screen backorders as fast as we can make them. The AF-6600 EFIS is in very high demand since Oshkosh.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Would you mind going through what accessories used the serial port inputs in your case? Trying to gauge what I need to plan for…

52724997512_ba59fde906_o.png

52725526766_bd93cbca60_3k.jpg

52724999672_75ba226ea2_3k.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

The example Rob shows is just about identical to my serial devices
I have a AV30 instead of G5 as backup

Max

We are currently shipping AF-6600 EFIS screen backorders as fast as we can make them. The AF-6600 EFIS is in very high demand since Oshkosh.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Thank you, Rob.
This answered my question exactly.

I was recently made aware of the new 6600 EFIS systems. A hanger neighbor at Twin Oaks actually 2 neighbors made me aware of the new EFIS. I am looking forward to integrating a single screen into my -7.

Kent

Hi Rob,

I have two AF-5600 screens (circa 2016) in my RV-10. Can those be "upgraded" with the new CPU? If it's possible, do the screens have to be shipped back to you or can that be done in the field?

Thanks.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Originally Posted by rleffler

What is your question?

has anyone received any AFS 5600 or 6600s from AFS

Rob did a great job at explaining his products, but that wasn’t the question you asked.

My response may come off as a bit snarky, but for many people, the answer to your question would have been a simple “yes”. It’s kind of like asking if anyone flies a RV on VAF. The 5600 has been available for quite some time, so of course people have them installed.

So I assumed that you ready wanted to learn something else about the 5600s or 6600. My suggestion is to ask that question instead if you want a more useful response.

My RV-10 has been flying for ten years. Over that course of time, it’s had AF-3400, AF-4500, AF-5500, and AF-6600 installed in the panel. I can share that the upgrades are pretty straightforward and not difficult. There are some minor wiring changes, but they are well documented. The physical logistics had some opportunities since none of these EFIS have the same physical size. I was able to maintain the same basic panel until I upgraded to the AF-6600s. This last upgrade required a significant panel remodel due to the larger screen size. My panel now has two AF-6600, a AF-5500, and a Garmin G5.

After Rob’s overview, is there anything specific you would like to know?

Originally Posted by rleffler

What is your question?

has anyone received any AFS 5600 or 6600s from AFS

Rob did a great job at explaining his products, but that wasn’t the question you asked.

My response may come off as a bit snarky, but for many people, the answer to your question would have been a simple “yes”. It’s kind of like asking if anyone flies a RV on VAF. The 5600 has been available for quite some time, so of course people have them installed.

So I assumed that you ready wanted to learn something else about the 5600s or 6600. My suggestion is to ask that question instead if you want a more useful response.

My RV-10 has been flying for ten years. Over that course of time, it’s had AF-3400, AF-4500, AF-5500, and AF-6600 installed in the panel. I can share that the upgrades are pretty straightforward and not difficult. There are some minor wiring changes, but they are well documented. The physical logistics had some opportunities since none of these EFIS have the same physical size. I was able to maintain the same basic panel until I upgraded to the AF-6600s. This last upgrade required a significant panel remodel due to the larger screen size. My panel now has two AF-6600, a AF-5500, and a Garmin G5.

After Rob’s overview, is there anything specific you would like to know?

Thanks, Bob.

My question was answered perfectly to my satisfaction.
Indeed EFIS screens have shipped "lately".

To the point of your response: "So I assumed that you ready wanted to learn something else about the 5600s or 6600." "After Rob’s overview, is there anything specific you would like to know?"

No, I'm good, thanks.

My panel is a 6600 installation.

The screen is very sharp and bright.
The cpu is fast enough changes are immediate.

I can't compare it to the 5600. I never used one.

Hi Rob,

I have two AF-5600 screens (circa 2016) in my RV-10. Can those be "upgraded" with the new CPU? If it's possible, do the screens have to be shipped back to you or can that be done in the field?

Thanks.

I'm curious about this same thing.... ed

Hi Rob,

Thanks.

The AF-5000 units with REV 7 (Dynon SV-NETWORK) hardware with touch screen can be upgraded to the new CPU. We need to replace the CPU, Memory and the large rear heatsink. Do to supply chain shortages we don't have enough of the new CPU's to currently do upgrades. Our current estimate is that we should have enough to start the upgrade program this summer.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks, Rob. So, it sounds like the units will need to be shipped back to the factory, right? Understanding that the program will likely get rolled out in summer, is there an estimate on cost and turnaround time for the upgrade?

Thanks.

The AF-5000 units with REV 7 (Dynon SV-NETWORK) hardware with touch screen can be upgraded to the new CPU. We need to replace the CPU, Memory and the large rear heatsink. Do to supply chain shortages we don't have enough of the new CPU's to currently do upgrades. Our current estimate is that we should have enough to start the upgrade program this summer.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks, Rob. So, it sounds like the units will need to be shipped back to the factory, right? Understanding that the program will likely get rolled out in summer, is there an estimate on cost and turnaround time for the upgrade?

Thanks.

I also am interested in the answer to this question for my Advanced Flight 5400. It uses the SV-network, so I presume Rev 7.

Back