What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Inst Panel F-7103 vs F-6103 OVSZ

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Has anyone bought the F-6103 OVSZ? Do you know if it is trimmed to size and drilled for slider? It is apparently 14" tall and standard is 11.5". The F-6103 OVSZ is listed to work with the RV6/7/9, but does not say slider or tip up.

The Standard panel is F-7103 for the slider. The F-703 instrument panel is for tip up.

Appreciate any information and if you went this route.

F-6103 OVSZ is not drilled or shaped in any way other than being a rectangle of aluminum with the lower edge bent 90 deg for stiffening. It is up to the builder to cut it to the desired panel outline and drill all the holes, or to send it to somebody who can do that.

Panel

F-6103 OVSZ is not drilled or shaped in any way other than being a rectangle of aluminum with the lower edge bent 90 deg for stiffening. It is up to the builder to cut it to the desired panel outline and drill all the holes, or to send it to somebody who can do that.

Yep. I tried the oversize panel. Cut. Drilled all the screw holes. I could not get it to slide into position. Ultimately, I determined, there was no way it would go in like a standard panel without cutting off the ears where the vents would go. Kinda defeated the purpose. Glad I bailed on it. There's plenty of room on the standard panel.
If you want it, shoot me a PM. We can work something out.

I did use the oversize panel because I wanted a bit extra height to fit all the G3X stuff together with a radio stack in the center and switches along the bottom. UpNorth Aviation has the .dxf for the standard panel, and I updated that drawing and had them cut the perimeter, standard holes, and new cutouts for the panel items.

It does have removable ears for the vents ... once those are loosened, it's easy to get in an out. Without the removable ears, like Larry says, you can't get it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
On my RV-7A slider, I used the full height of the oversize panel as shown in the attached photo. I was able to install it by making the only the right vent area removeable. So, I was able to retain the vents on both sides. Sorry, I don't have a photo of that.

27608730-412F-42FA-9ABC-EA00D8B1D634.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. :) That is the tribal knowledge I was looking for. I called Van and no one knew squat. I am going to stick with standard panel. I can always add a sub panel, but don't really need it. Cheers.

UpNorth Aviation cut out my RV-9 slider F-6103 OVSZ. I did not use removable vent subpanels and indeed it is difficult to install. By trimming back the bottom angle and some, but not too much muscle, I got the panel in place. UpNorth did a fantastic job. If I had known the installation would be tight I might have made one ear removable.

IMG-8443.jpg

I did use the oversize panel because I wanted a bit extra height to fit all the G3X stuff together with a radio stack in the center and switches along the bottom. UpNorth Aviation has the .dxf for the standard panel, and I updated that drawing and had them cut the perimeter, standard holes, and new cutouts for the panel items.

It does have removable ears for the vents ... once those are loosened, it's easy to get in an out. Without the removable ears, like Larry says, you can't get it in.

Back