What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Builder Assist?

Well Known Member
Hey folks, it's been a while since I've been regularly posting here, and as they say "life happens."

In my case, life's been great to me in the last year, and we welcomed twins, a boy and a girl, to our family last summer!

As you can imagine, my build time has been rather severely curtailed in the last six months. I am considering my options for completing my RV-10 in a reasonable time frame at a reasonable cost.

I'm about 98% complete with all sheet metal work and have partially fitted the cabin cover. I'm awaiting delivery of the finish kit, hopefully in the next two months or so. I have all conduit pulled throughout the airframe and some of the wiring.

I'm considering engaging with a builder assist group to help me finish the airplane. I'm looking for reputable shops that do high quality work that can pick up on a project at a rather late stage and bring it to completion. I have a set of ER fuel tanks that needs completion as well, and the appropriate wing mods made.

Any suggestions? Again, I'm looking for quality, time, and reasonable price. I've heard some stories about some builder assist shops that have questionable quality--I'd like to avoid those, so if you have first hand stories of experience with them, I'd appreciate hearing about that in private messages.

I'd also love to hear first hand stories of good experiences!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alternatively, for those of you who have completed airplanes with small children taking up a bunch of your time, do you have concrete suggestions for how you did it that I might apply?

You are in the hard slug of work RV-10 phase of building. I suspect the biggest problem you will have, if you find a shop to help, is moving the project to them.

The best path forward it to find and experienced builder that is between projects. Offer to put him up for a week from time to time, pay for his travel (100LL and hangar space) and keep him well fed. You should also offer some cash compensation for his time. For what you need right now (cabin top, doors and windows) a single helper for longer is preferred over several people doing small stuff.

For avionics, wiring and such I suspect you will find a larger pool of people to help. Find them first before buying anything (like wiring kits and panel stuff). Builders tend to like what they like and shy away from other approaches.

I built a set of RV-14 wings for someone in between my second and third projects. He is now a good friend.

Carl

You are in the hard slug of work RV-10 phase of building. I suspect the biggest problem you will have, if you find a shop to help, is moving the project to them.

I suspect you're right about the complexity of moving the project. While not insurmountable, it'd be better to have the work done here in my shop as much as possible.

I'm fairly particular about what I want avionics wise and would probably complete that work on my own, maybe with some help mounting them physically.

I could see doing work for others in the future once this is done--help finishing wings and fuel tanks and the like. Maybe the kids will catch the bug someday too and help out!

The best path forward it to find and experienced builder that is between projects. Offer to put him up for a week from time to time, pay for his travel (100LL and hangar space) and keep him well fed. You should also offer some cash compensation for his time. For what you need right now (cabin top, doors and windows) a single helper for longer is preferred over several people doing small stuff.

Carl

I would be up for some of that. However, you likely need months of support and not weeks if you don't even have the top on yet. That is too much for me to do out of town. I would build your ER tanks if sent here. Not offering free work, but rates are reasonable.

Larry

Alternatively, for those of you who have completed airplanes with small children taking up a bunch of your time, do you have concrete suggestions for how you did it that I might apply?

While my kids were very young was the only time I could have built. (By the time they got to late elementary school they had too many activities I prioritized attending. This lasted until the left for college.) I found that I could regularly devote a couple hours each night after they went to bed around 7:30 or so. Of course, leave some of that time to your SO, but those hours add up pretty fast if you just remain committed. Also, it really helps to keep your project at home as long as possible to take advantage of those times when the kids are down for naps. If you still enjoy building, and if don't have a lot of other hobbies digging into the little free time you have, I'd encourage you to keep moving forward on your own. Good luck though!

Last edited:
It can be done....

Photographic proof it can be done even without builder assist..(That was July 2017, and I started flying last summer). I recommend builder assist, life gets busier and busier with the little guys :D

Attachments

• 2023-03-01_13-51-47.jpg
    2023-03-01_13-51-47.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Double Congratulations! I built my RV-10 (slow build all the way) while raising infant twins. I won't say it was easy.....but I managed to both shoulder much of the child care responsibilities during the daytime hours and keep a full time job going. Work on the airplane was mostly relegated to evenings and weekends when my wife could help with the kids. I put in long hours in those evenings and weekends, nearly every single day. Six years later we had a beautiful airplane and kids beginning first grade. As with everything, focus, drive, determination, and endurance makes the difference. You can do it.

FWIW I agree with the comment above that I had more time to build when the kids were young than I would have now. Life become very simplified when you have kids at home. I spent much of my time in the house, caring for them, and the shop is just a few steps away.

One aspect that I would not trade for anything: From the time they could walk the boys both spent a lot of time in the shop. Today they are 14 and still in the shop every single evening, now working on their bicycles and motorcycles, and are skilled mechanics. I think this is a very healthy thing for a teenager and in this way airplane construction had a good influence on their lives. We are now plotting to build a RV-15 together, fun times ahead. Good luck,

Attachments

• DSCN4337.JPG
    DSCN4337.JPG
    693.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN4360.JPG
    DSCN4360.JPG
    764.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN4480.JPG
    DSCN4480.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Oct.jpg
    Oct.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Expectations

If you are at the stage you describe you are far from 98% complete, more along with the lines of 50%. The stage of the build laying before you is time consuming for a quality product. Fiberglass (I loved it) is tedious process especially the poor quality of the Vans parts included (cabin top, doors, etc.)

My advice is to be diligent in your search for finishing this or just bite a little off at a time and get it done on your own.

The always say you can only pick 2 of the three

1. Real Quick
2. Real Cheap
3. Good Quality

Before going much further I'd suggest talking with someone you really trust, and find out how much additional work you can pay for and still fall under the 51% rule. If you're a slow build, obviously an amount equivalent to the QB is okay. If it's a QB, not sure anyone really knows the answer except the DAR you're likely to use.

Really?

Fiberglass (I loved it) is tedious process especially the poor quality of the Vans parts included (cabin top, doors, etc.)

I can agree with the "tedious process" part but all fiberglass work can be made to look and fit like a show plane.

Having raised two kids and built 2 airplanes and contemplated at one time to enlist some help, I found that a "little break" in the building process was like a vacation from work. After stepping back a few weeks and catching up with family odds and ends, you'll be invigorated to attack the last 50% :D of your build.
If I was you, I would just keep at it without outside help.

Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful responses. I'm encouraged enough that I'm going to try rearranging my time in ways that will let me work on the plane after the kids go to bed. I'll have to forgo a few hours of sleep but I think I can handle it with a "recharge" day once or twice a week.

We'll see how that works. Just got a crating date for my finish kit, which is a bit later than I imagined it would be, so we'll see where we are in the June-July time frame and I'll reconsider then.

Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful responses. I'm encouraged enough that I'm going to try rearranging my time in ways that will let me work on the plane after the kids go to bed.

That's largely how I built my -10. From 9 PM till midnight, with a few other hours tucked in where there was an opportunity.

The key is working on it an hour or three almost every night.

I too am working on a looooong slow build 10. I'm at the point where my airframe is pretty much complete, along with top, doors, overhead console, etc. My engine and prop are sitting next to my project, ready to mount, and I'm in the queue at Stein Air to get my panel built this year. The problems I have are the same as you. I have 2 kids (8 and 11 now) and my build started 11 1/2 years ago (perfect timing!). However, I made my family the top priority, so it's taking a long time. My difficulty now is that my project is at the hangar which is a 40 to 60 min drive each way, so it's tough to get time in. However, I'm not throwing in the towel and neither should you! Schedule some work time and be happy with that time whatever it is. Plan ahead, so you're ready with activities the minute you hit the shop. I agree with what some have said about the fiberglass work. It's daunting, messy and time-consuming, but it can/will be done. After some experience, you'll see it's not so bad. Keep trudging and you'll get to the finish line. If you hire it out, it will go faster, but at a cost. You'll still have to devote time to make sure it's done to your liking and that you understand what's being done, so you don't end up with a "foreign airplane," same as if you'd bought it. Plus, I'm not sure what it would cost, money-wise (maybe someone could chime in with a ROM budget??). I bet it's pretty significant, but maybe I'm wrong about that.. Either way, make the decision that's best for you and your family. Maybe that decision is to keep on keeping on.

Saw this post and great too see all the pics of getting the kids involved.

Same here in Scotland my son was 3 / daughter 7mths when i started the 10 build and tbh it was a great time i would mostly work at night when they were in bed from 7 ish and it worked out really well as a mancave to relax for me. As others have said the harder time was actually as they got to 5+ when after school clubs took priority. My advice is do what you can do , little but often and the progress comes. My son is now 9 this year and is pretty handy as building things at school, i wonder were that came from :)

Back