What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much forward rudder pedal deflection do I need?

idubrov

Well Known Member
I am trying to guesstimate the foremost position for the rudder pedals.

The pedals are Control Approach ones so I don't know how much the guidance given in the instructions apply. I placed them such that their bar is where the center between two bars of the original rudder pedals would be.

This is the most extreme deflections both forward and back (the left pedal hits the firewal and the right one is at the maximum difference between the pedals).

IMG_7244.jpeg

This is where I estimated the neutral position (just taking the middle between the two extremes).

IMG_7245.jpeg

Does that look like a reasonable position? Should I move them back a little?

Ideally, I would sit and try. However, I would like to drill the stiffeners outside of the fuselage, before everything is riveted together. I am probably not going to use the foremost position also, but I would like not to drill the holes which cannot be used.

Really it is better to sit and try, once the seats are in, and even better when the rudder is installed, so you can properly check deflection. The mounting holes in the stiffeners can be easily drilled using a drill guide (such as a piece of choke cable sheath OD 3/16), before the fwd top skin is on, so that is not a constraint. Moreover, I would not drill the stiffener holes on the bench because the rudder bars need to be fitted to the bushings to ensure they are oriented correctly.

Last edited:
I drilled three sets of holes, forward, middle, and aft, per the plans' suggestion, so I could decide later. Ended up going with the middle position.

I used the Control Approach pedals in my -10 (very happy with them). I drilled all the holes for options. With a 35" inseam I mounted them all the way forward. I waited to make the steel connector piece until after rudder was mounted but it turned out I didn't need to. The Vans dimensions work. (2 different dimensions depending on where you mount the pedals.

Okay, so in the end I drilled 4 positions, with a 1" spacing between them (I made my own bearing blocks which all have a "standard" spacing of 2" between the bolt holes).

I moved the foremost position a bit aft of what plans show since these pedals have brake cylinders on the back and there was some interference with the firewall angles.

If my math is correct, the foremost position I have 5-3/8" is from the firewall to the centerline of the rudder pedals tube (4" from the firewall to the edge of the 2-3/4" bearing block).

Last edited:
How much is it needed?
At least as much as you can get full deflection. So if you are hard set to drill this now, you might want to find a RV locally and see how much movement is needed to get a full deflection on the rudder.

Okay, so in the end I drilled 4 positions, with a 1" spacing between them (I made my own bearing blocks which all have a "standard" spacing of 2" between the bolt holes).

I moved the foremost position a bit aft of what plans show since these pedals have brake cylinders on the back and there was some interference with the firewall angles.

If my math is correct, the foremost position I have 5-3/8" is from the firewall to the centerline of the rudder pedals tube (4" from the firewall to the edge of the 2-3/4" bearing block).

I did the same....4 positions. I am 6'4" and ended up selling to a person who could not reach the pedals. I, and he, were glad for the adjustment.

Back