What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transparent Vinyl Over Polish?

iaw4

Well Known Member
Is it possible to put a transparent vinyl wrap over the polish to preserve the mirror look but avoid the needed regular aluminum polishing maintenance?

Is it possible to put a transparent vinyl wrap over the polish to preserve the mirror look but avoid the needed regular aluminum polishing maintenance?

If you're willing to wrap anyway, maybe consider chrome vinyl.

Vinyl sticks good to bare aluminum, painted surfaces, and pretty good to alodyned surfaces. I know there are some primer brands that vinyl will not stick to. I suspect it wouldn't stick to well to polish either, but haven't tested this.
I suggest you do a test panel.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I polish once per year. Then I follow up immediately with a wax. I use a polymer type car wax. Which by the way will slightly dull your fresh polish job. But I value the protection it gives. Then I will use a spray wax throughout the year just to clean it up. I can get though the year no problem and I suspect I could go two years if I wanted. But I'm on the coast near Oregon so I'm in worst possible environment.

You might want to try John's 360 Ceramic Coating. I have heard that this coating works well over polished aluminum. I don't have personal knowledge, but give him a call! I love the coating on my painted plane.

3M xpel ultimate is what I’m planning on using after i get back from paint. Planning on putting it in areas that are prone to picking up rock chips.

Back