What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-390 215HP RV-8

Hi, I'm installing YIO-390-EXP119 w/acc. (215HP) on the RV-8, however I would like to put in a 2-blade, constant speed propeller.

But I don't know which one I should put, Vans has two models available from the manufacturer Hartzell.

C2YR-1BFP/F7497 74 in. day. Aluminum 2-blade blended airfoil

and

G2YR/N7605W-2X 74 in. day. Extended 2-blade composite hub

But both are for 180HP-210HP engines.

Which propeller for 215HP engines?

Propeller

The engine YIO-390-exp119 is basically a standard 210 hp engine that has
been modified. New fuel servo, separate aluminium intake pipes, smaller and
lighter oil pan (7 qt), no vacuum pump drive, no tachometer drive.
Yes it is 5 hp more but no significant technical change.
Both propeller hubs can with other blades work with a IO-540 engine.
Depending on what type of operations you will have, the composite prop
will perform better on take of and climb.
The aluminium prop will give you slightly higher top speed.

Good luck

There are several factors, including:

1. cost
  2. weight
  3. performance
  4. maintenance/repair
  5. coolness

As I recall, I looked at the composite prop and chose the aluminum due to my concern about what I will do if I need a minor repair. At the time I bought mine, they were pretty new on the market, and some people were having to send the prop back for repair. That would have been a big hassle for me since I'm in Europe.

Today, it's different, since there are many Hartzell shops here that can repair these, I would guess thanks to the many Cirrus aircraft that use a composite Hartzell. In any case, I'm really happy with my aluminum prop. I'd say you can't go wrong with either prop.

There are several factors, including:

1. cost
  2. weight
  3. performance
  4. maintenance/repair
  5. coolness

As I recall, I looked at the composite prop and chose the aluminum due to my concern about what I will do if I need a minor repair. At the time I bought mine, they were pretty new on the market, and some people were having to send the prop back for repair. That would have been a big hassle for me since I'm in Europe.

Today, it's different, since there are many Hartzell shops here that can repair these, I would guess thanks to the many Cirrus aircraft that use a composite Hartzell. In any case, I'm really happy with my aluminum prop. I'd say you can't go wrong with either prop.
You say about the spinner in composite material?

Engine name

An X or Y in the beginning means that it is experimental.
As Lycoming are building certified engines they are required to
separate them from the non certified.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. My spinner is the standard Van's spinner and is made of fiberglass.

Many of the newer spanners are fiberglass for the certificate planes. Many people replaced their dented alum spinners to composite. My carbon composite prop comes with carbon spinner. It's really light.

Back