Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2021, 12:10 PM

One minor irritation I encountered with this IFD440 is that it wasn't shipped with Bluetooth or WiFi activated, so I'm unable to turn either one on in user settings. Oddly, it did come with the Bluetooth keyboard, and the manual/brochure touts how great the IFD100 software is, as well as the ability to send flight plans to and from Foreflight. I just don't have any networks to connect those two network devices to .

On a positive note, an email to Avidyne Technical Support resulted in a surprisingly prompt reply with an apology and a plan to email me the .dsf file needed to install the switch necessary to turn on the switch necessary to turn on those two important features.

Now...if the thing doesn't melt my panel and if it consistently maintains satellite lock, I anticipate that it will end up providing substantially enhanced functionality over that venerable old GNS430W. We'll see.

I conclude that the term "plug and play" tends to have a rather broad interpretation.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-26-2021, 01:08 PM

Default Plug and Play

Considering you don't need to cut into your panel, that's pretty plug and play for experimental.

To add that one audio line (shielded 2/22 AWG I think) you will need to pin up both ends and the IFD end uses the tiny MS crimp pins. Find a friend with a good pin tool to help you with that.

Even with two radios I often use that standby for monitoring CTAF while I'm picking up ATIS, or sometimes the reverse, while I have the other radio on ATC enroute or approach. Being able to tap the ADF button to monitor it is handy.

I just remembered there is also an audio alert output on the IFD that should go to an un-switched input on the 340. It will give you audible terrain warnings and possibly traffic warnings as well. Here is a forum thread on the subject:

http://forums.avidyne.com/aural-warnings_topic837.html
Old 11-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I anticipate that it will end up providing substantially enhanced functionality over that venerable old GNS430W. We'll see.
The user interface is much better, and it is now SO much easier to add a DP to a departure and arrival STAR at the other end. Adding a hold somewhere on the route is a matter of 5 seconds and is plainly intuitive - much better than the 430W I used to run.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
The user interface is much better, and it is now SO much easier to add a DP to a departure and arrival STAR at the other end. Adding a hold somewhere on the route is a matter of 5 seconds and is plainly intuitive - much better than the 430W I used to run.
Yeh, the 430 was a great piece of work and revolutionary when it was put on the market 25 years ago, but it always suffered from GID (Garmin Interface Disease) and that's much more noticeable in the modern era as Apple initiated an intuitive user interface for electronic devices. Intuitive interfaces were never Garmin's long suit. Don't know about their current avionics lineup, but the bicycle computer I bought last year is truly awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
One minor irritation I encountered with this IFD440 is that it wasn't shipped with Bluetooth or WiFi activated, so I'm unable to turn either one on in user settings. Oddly, it did come with the Bluetooth keyboard, and the manual/brochure touts how great the IFD100 software is, as well as the ability to send flight plans to and from Foreflight. I just don't have any networks to connect those two network devices to .
OK, new to the process, had no clue what I was doing. Apparently, SV, TAWS, and WIFI/BT used to be add-on factory options that were enabled if you paid extra for them. They included a coupon and license code for each one that you bought and you redeemed them online in exchange for the .dsf file for each add-on. Now...they include all three certificates automatically at no additional charge, and throw in the bluetooth keyboard to boot. I finally found the three certificates in the installation kit (I used the 430W installation tray so I never opened that box except to note that it contained the Avidyne tray), entered the codes online at their "activation" page and was promptly notified that they'd contacting me "shortly" with the software keys.

I suppose it would have gone smoother if I'd had the dealer install it and set it up. Good learning experience.

Interesting process.
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 11-26-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
Put a GPS antenna on your G5 to make sure it gets the right kind of GPS data that supports its internal attitude aiding. Normally, the way you have it set up now, it would use MapMX GPS data from your GNS 430W, but MapMX is a proprietary Garmin protocol that the IFD won't have. That can be solved by using a simple glareshield antenna on your G5.
The IFD440 does apparently support MapMX. I feed GPS data to the G5 via RS232 channel 3 output using that for track instead of using the G5's GPS. It's how I had it set up with the 430W and it works fine with the Avidyne.

The one issue I am having is ADS-B OUT. The EchoUAT was installed before I bought the plane and I'm not quite clear on how it's wired. I think that I mis-configured the IFD440. I set it's RS232 channel 2 output to "ADS-B (Avi)" but should be "ADS-B+". I did reset it to that but it reverted to "ADS-B (Avi)" seemingly by itself, and so far neither of my test flights generated a PAPR so I conclude that I have no ADS-B OUT. ADS-B IN works fine for traffic and weather. I suspect (hoping) that it reverted simply because I didn't exit Maintenance Mode correctly. I'll have to look into that. I'm also hoping that that mis-configuration is the reason I'm getting an intermittent ghost image of my self on ADS-B IN.

Other than that, the IFD440 is great. I have about 3 hours on it and no satellite issues. As to heat, it doesn't seem any hotter than the 430W was. Of course...it's Minnesota in November, so.....
bunch of other stuff