What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS with dual G3X

Amadeus

Well Known Member
After flying a 1.0 hour flight and a 1.2 hour flight yesterday with the RV grin the entire way I departed KLEX for 27K (a 0.3 hour flight typically) to hangar the RV12iS.

I departed KLEX on runway 04 with winds 050 @ 8. Once reaching 3000 feet and requesting to squawk VFR and change frequencies (27K was in sight and I was planning a straight in on runway 03) I noticed that the G3X was indicating a 41kt tailwind. Airspeed was indicating 62kt and ground speed 92kt.I decided to shift right and enter downwind for runway 21.

Midfield I looked at the windsock and it indicated a light wind from around 050; just as AWOS described. I extended my downwind then turned crosswind to enter the downwind for runway 03. As I made this turn I noticed that I continued to have a tailwind despite making a 90 degree turn. Shortly I turned downwind for runway 03 and the G3X again indicated a tailwind of 41kts with an airspeed indicated at 59kts and ground speed of 88kt.

Realizing my G3X was not accurate I did my base turn and final using seat of my pants and outside view as both directions the G3X continued to give a tailwind of anywhere from 38 to 55kts. On final and below 500 feet the G3X gave indicated airspeed of 55kts and a warning box of "MINIMUM SPEED" so I did bring in more power since, as an Instrument Rated pilot I wanted to trust my avionics. I crossed the numbers at 60kt indicated but I can tell you from experience that I was easily at 85kt. I leveled off with main gear about a foot or two off the runway and pulled back to 2000 RPM and let the plane settle. I had plenty of runway to roll out but I touched down at a faster speed than ever before.

After shutdown I first checked the pitot; no obstruction was visible.

Any recommendations for what to next check?

Jayson

Could potentially be pitot system leakage. I would make sure all your fittings are tight and that the quick connects at the GSU didn't scratch up the tubes from removal without pressing down the collar.

Back