What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has my GDL 39 failed?

donaziza

Well Known Member
Last time I went flying, my GPS navigation off my GDL 39 (to my tablet) worked fine, but I noticed I wasn't getting any weather or other airplane traffic information. So today, I went out to the airport, armed with 2 separate tablets, and my cell phone. Tried connecting each one (separately of course,) via ( connext--I'm using Garmin Pilot).
All I got was "No devices found". Normally, the GDL 39 connects to my tablet just fine, while still on the ground. Is my GDL 39 toast?? Garmin guy-- are you there by any chance?? If its toast, will Garmin fix it??---or is it cheaper to just try to find someone here on VAF, who might have one for sale. (I ask, because I've been seeing here on VAF, that Garmin wants a minimum of $800 to service their stuff)

Last edited:
Let me get back to you, maybe next week Steve. I want to see what people say here, and also fly next week to see if a signal up in the air helps. (You related to the pillow guy??)

Last time I went flying, my GPS navigation off my GDL 39 (to my tablet) worked fine, but I noticed I wasn't getting any weather or other airplane traffic information. So today, I went out to the airport, armed with 2 separate tablets, and my cell phone. Tried connecting each one (separately of course,) via ( connext--I'm using Garmin Pilot).
All I got was "No devices found". Normally, the GDL 39 connects to my tablet just fine, while still on the ground. Is my GDL 39 toast?? Garmin guy-- are you there by any chance?? If its toast, will Garmin fix it??---or is it cheaper to just try to find someone here on VAF, who might have one for sale. (I ask, because I've been seeing here on VAF, that Garmin wants a minimum of $800 to service their stuff)
Is it even receiving power? What are the status LED's telling you?

GDL39StatusLights.png

When you couldn't get any devices to connect, did you follow the above procedure (Note) to reset the unit?

Do you have a friend with a real display like an Aera 660/760 that can plug a cable into the side of the GDL 39 and see if it is working over RS-232?

Steve

H-m-m-m, I've got a green power is on light. My blue light is blinking. I wasn't a builder, so I wouldn't have known about the 232 connection. I'm only 2 doors down from EAA 690's hangar. I'll try asking around about what you said. (Didn't even realize there was a place to plug in on the side--always thought it was blue tooth only)

Maybe check that your software is up to date. Had this happen awhile ago and this was the problem.

Don,
If you are out poking holes in the sky, maybe stop by Calhoun and I'll see if i can help you. (text me before you stop by to make sure I'm there). I'll be happy to take a look and see if you its toast :eek:

Have you tried (re)pairing your device to the GDL-39? Start at the bluetooth settings page on your device.
I had to re-establish the connection between my -39 and the G3X after sitting for 10 days at OSH a few months ago. I had no wx and traffic until the handshake was reset.

I would try some troubleshooting first. I just had my 39 fail. Garmin clipped me $400 for a refurb, as mine was out of warranty.

Larry

Maybe check that your software is up to date. Had this happen awhile ago and this was the problem.

How do I do this? I've never seen a place on my tablet (when using Garmin Pilot) update my software/firmware?? (And of course, there's no update buttons on the GDL 39 itself)

Hope this helps. I was using mine with a portable GPS unit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 18-49-04 Updating software on GDL 39 Garmin Support.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 18-49-04 Updating software on GDL 39 Garmin Support.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 64
How do I do this? I've never seen a place on my tablet (when using Garmin Pilot) update my software/firmware?? (And of course, there's no update buttons on the GDL 39 itself)

Sorry, I never use tablets, so can't help you with Garmin Pilot.

The GDL 39 software update is automatic with a Garmin Portable. The Garmin Portable software is automatically delivered with GDL 39/39R and GDL 5X/5XR software, so all you do is connect and watch it update.

For example, this GDL 39 was using V4.81, and the Aera 660 it was connected to was holding the latest V4.91 software, so it started automatically updating the GDL 39 as soon as it was connected.

Aera660_GDL39UpdateInProgress.png

At the conclusion of the update, the same page shows the current software in the connected GDL 39.

Aera660_GDL39SoftwareVersion.png

Steve

Last edited:
Back