What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 will not turn on

jneves

Well Known Member
I have a dual G5 setup, yesterday I went for a flight. Had to wait out fog so I started up and taxi'd to get fuel. No issues during the taxi to fuel. After fueling and waiting out the fog in the FBO, I went back out and started her up for the flight. HSI would not turn on (AI was fine), tried to power manually and nothing. I figured that the G5 would power up off the back up battery which I know is good since I run the batteries down a bit every month or so in the G5s and my handheld.

Anyone have any tips, input?

I've seen this issue occasionally ... removing the battery seemed to clear the startup issue (I have easy access to the back of the unit on my plane with the canopy open)

Taking with Garmin about this, they didn't have any great ideas. We did check the status screens and didn't see any battery faults/issues flagged there.

They did say to try holding down the power on button for 10 seconds and see what happens. On the next (and only since) occurrence, I tried this and it did clear the issue and the G5 started. Been OK since. The startup fault only happened once, so I have no real, useful statistics on this recovery method.

I have a dual G5 setup, yesterday I went for a flight. Had to wait out fog so I started up and taxi'd to get fuel. No issues during the taxi to fuel. After fueling and waiting out the fog in the FBO, I went back out and started her up for the flight. HSI would not turn on (AI was fine), tried to power manually and nothing. I figured that the G5 would power up off the back up battery which I know is good since I run the batteries down a bit every month or so in the G5s and my handheld.

Anyone have any tips, input?

Yes. Apply power, then press and hold the G5 power button until it powers up, then release.

You should also make sure that you are using the current software.

Steve

Thank you both, I'll head over this afternoon and give both processes a try. Hope that all I need to do. I did check all the power and ground connections as well. Planning on updating all the software as well.

What's the best way to get the G5s' software? I've only had the setup for a month (purchased installed in the plane already) was going to try flyGarmin.com, but don't think that's where they reside.

G5 Power Issue

Thank you both, I'll head over this afternoon and give both processes a try. Hope that all I need to do. I did check all the power and ground connections as well. Planning on updating all the software as well.

What's the best way to get the G5s' software? I've only had the setup for a month (purchased installed in the plane already) was going to try flyGarmin.com, but don't think that's where they reside.

Good Morning,

The software can be download using this link. The software update process is outlined on page 8-2 of the G5 EAB installation manual (revision 9), which can be found here.

Please let us know if the steps Steve provided above do not work resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Justin

had the same happen on my dual setup a couple of years ago... seems it can happen if elec power is applied/cut/applied in a rapid sequence.

And the solution Longez provides is the one I used and it corrected the problem :)

Yes. Apply power, then press and hold the G5 power button until it powers up, then release.

You should also make sure that you are using the current software.

Thanks Steve and everyone including Garmin support for the comments. I applied power and held the button and all is well not. I do recall slipping off the avionics switch at fueling which did remove and reapply power quickly. I’ll be more careful

Good Morning,

The software can be download using this link. The software update process is outlined on page 8-2 of the G5 EAB installation manual (revision 9), which can be found here.

Please let us know if the steps Steve provided above do not work resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin! Any chance I can get the link to the GFC500 installation manual, I'm looking to pull the audio alerts into my audio panel since it was not installed when the system was initially put in.?

Thanks Justin! Any chance I can get the link to the GFC500 installation manual, I'm looking to pull the audio alerts into my audio panel since it was not installed when the system was initially put in.?

Johnny,

Non-certified aircraft use the G5 installation manual that Justin provided a link to above.

See page 7-10. The autopilot alert audio is provided by pins 13 and 14 on the GMC 507.

GMC507 Alert Audio Output.png

Steve

Johnny,

Non-certified aircraft use the G5 installation manual that Justin provided a link to above.

See page 7-10. The autopilot alert audio is provided by pins 13 and 14 on the GMC 507.

View attachment 18310

Steve

Thank you Steve, I hadn't made it that far down. Glad to see the G5 manual has all the data I needed.

Back