What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna & strobe unit location

PeteP

Well Known Member
Looking at the requirement to mount two comm antennas, a transponder antenna, an ELT antenna and the strobe power pack. I don't see any way to get all these conductors and cables thru the existing 3 passage of the main spar. The fourth passage is already consumed by the trim cable. I also have to get two Skyview network cables thru the passages as well. How has everyone mounted this stuff and routed the cables. I can probably mount the transponder antenna FWD of the spar but the rest looks like it need to be mounted aft of the spar.

Is it reasonable to even think about punching more passages thru the main spar?

Pete (AKA Yoda)
VAF 2012 dues paid :)
RV9A 80% done 50% to go?

I remember having the same issue, and ended up running some of my wiring along the left upper longeron. It is still hidden especially in the channel part of the longeron. Hope this helps.

I was able to run all of my tailcone wiring in the same openings as the trim cable ... that's rudder nav & strobe, flap motor, and the pitch servo bundle. In my observation, it seems like a few guys end up getting Vans OK to punch an additional hole thru the center section, but the majority avoid that. At first I saw no way to get all my wiring thru the ctr section, but it actually worked out fine.

Many wires and coaxial cables will fit

It may not look like it will all fit but if you choose the smallest wires first into each hole provided then work up in size, using the coaxial cable last, one can fit an amount of wire that looks impossible to pass to the aft of the plane. I did not wish to have numerous unsightly wires running down either side and I have skinned knuckles and missing tooth enamel from working all the wires thru the center section. We did not drill additional holes in the center section.

15g2hef.jpg
[/IMG]

1pdzdz.jpg
[/IMG]

Pat Garboden
RV-9A
N942PT

Prepping for inspection.

Back