What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front top skin rivet question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to rivet on this skin. My question is about the rivets that go thru the longerons near the front. I have been told that some folks use cherry max pull rivets for some of these because they are hard to set with solid rivets. My question is how many cherry maxs can you use on each side. Are there any downsides to using pull rivets here? Mine is a slider.
Thanks!

???

Charles,
Are you talking about the skin just behind the canopy or the bootcowl be between cowl and canopy?

Are you slider or tip? I am tip, and the skin behind the canopy was not an issue (with helper running the gun). I have not riveted the boot cowl over the instruments yet.

I used solid rivets in this area and don't remember it being much of an issue though I think a riveting partner is a must in this spot

I did all solid rivets (without a partner) except for one spot, where i used a pulled rivet. But there are explanations:

When I riveted the braces between the longerons and the top of the firewall angle, I couldn't get 14 rivets along the longeron in that area and keep good rivet spacing, I could only get 12. My tech counselor said that if i was worried about that, i could replace a couple of the rivets on each side with AN3 bolts, which he said were stronger than rivets. So I drilled out two of the 470AD4's on the longeron side and installed two AN3 bolts. One of those bolts, (with it's nut) blocked access to buck a rivet, so that is where I used the pulled rivet.

Oh, and i reached in through my top access panels, which i had added, to buck the remainder.

john

Back