What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Interior question

Cajnflyboy

I'm New Here
So the builder of my RV7 didn’t route things down the center, but down both sides of the cockpit. This is making any interior finishing a little challenging. The seats and carpet are all Classic Aero but the side panels wouldn’t fit. Any suggestions on how to tackle?

Thanks!
Jack
VAF 2020 Donation made (though exempt!)
RV-7 N222KG

Last edited:
Interior question

At the minimum, you will need to move the wiring that is in the nylon spiral wrap to parallel the vent tubing. Then along the floor, you may have to trim the bottom of your Classic Aero trim panel to make room for the wires.
Best method would be to re-route the wiring down the center.

Gary

Basically the wiring should not protrude higher than the braces on the cockpit sides. I have a Classic Aero Interior in my -7A. The only possible easy remedy without requiring too much work would be to cut slots in the side panels to allow the wiring to stay where it is and route up and under the panel. You might could find some rubber U channel type trim to put over the slotted areas in the panel to finish it out. Classic Aero may have some suggestions on the best way to dress things up. When I talk about slotting the Classic Aero panel, it would be a half elipse shape if that makes sense.

Personally, I’d strongly consider rewiring at some point. It’d be a very big job though. I managed to run two large wire harnesses up through the middle of the floor in mine. Ran it up to the firewall and up each side of the heater vent area, then back towards the panel area. I have an Andair fuel pump which is small and gave a lot of room to accomplish the task.

I'd suggest making a sleeve or cover out of some fabric & velcro and install the interior panel behind it. IMO not worth rewiring unless you want it to be a showplane.

Back