What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv8 canopy/baggage lock

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
RV8 with showplanes fastback canopy.

Looking for a flush key lock for canopy and baggage compartment. I have the ACS lock already but it?s dome shaped and interferes with canopy latch. Saw one on papalimabravo website but cant seem to find anywhere.

Anyone? It?s 7/8? diameter

RV8 with showplanes fastback canopy.

Looking for a flush key lock for canopy and baggage compartment. I have the ACS lock already but it?s dome shaped and interferes with canopy latch. Saw one on papalimabravo website but cant seem to find anywhere.

Anyone? It?s 7/8? diameter

Steve, it's just a standard cabinet lock.

I'm working from memory here, about six years back, so best I can do is concept...

I think the lock came from Home Depot, similar to this one. The manufacturer makes several different lengths, in brass, chrome, or stainless steel:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Wa...nd-Drawer-Utility-Cam-Lock-1378-604/202799780

Remove the cylinder from the barrel (take the nut off the back end and insert the key). Remove and discard the quarter-moon trim bezel.

I remember some light machining to the barrel, or maybe it was the cylinder, some sort of slight diameter reduction at the key end if I recall correctly. Maybe it was just to remove a lip. Doesn't stick because it only took a minute on the lathe. Sorry, it's been a while.

Machine a new hat-shaped trim bezel, cylinder OD a tight fit in the composite, brim OD a little larger of course, brim thickness in the 0.010"~0.020" ballpark, ID large enough to clear the cylinder. The brim thickness holds the stainless canopy handle up off the painted surface when it's in the flush trail position....no long term paint damage. The hat just gets bonded into the composite.

The steel arm that comes with the lock is ugly, and probably not the right length. Make an aluminum arm for the inside to block the tab rotation on the latch assembly.

Canopy%20Lock.JPG

Canopy%20Latch%20Outer.JPG

Latch%20and%20Lock%20Assembly.JPG

Back