What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I need a favor - dipstick marking

Jab

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all

I recently bought an RV 4 fitted with an O320 A3B and while the builder marked the oil dipstick, it has old markings too and I want to make sure I am using the correct ones. I will calibrate the dipstick myself at the first oil change but until then, if you have a similar O320, could you please measure your dipstick and let me know how many inches to 4, 6 and 8 quarts?

Thank you,

Gary

Sounds like that previous owner may have shortened the dipstick extension pipe and remarked the stick. Your best solution may be just change the oil and remark.

If the oil is new, just drain it and re-fill a quart at a time.
Don't forget there is some oil in the filter if you have one. Otherwise you'll be marking your stick about a half quart high.

If the oil is new, just drain it and re-fill a quart at a time.
Don't forget there is some oil in the filter if you have one. Otherwise you'll be marking your stick about a half quart high.

20+ years ago when I put oil in my engine for the first time, I checked with each quart added. 2-quarts added was 2-quarts on the stick. 4-quarts added was 4-quart mark on the stick. The engine had not been run so there was no oil in the filter, crankshaft, or constant speed prop.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen, I will have to drain the oil to calibrate it.

I wonder if the dip stick marking differences has to do with tri-gear vs taildragger configurations causing oil level to be deeper in the rear pan area when on a tail dragger?

Bevan

Back