What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flycutter Supplier to Cut Fuel Tank Access holes

Geeman

Well Known Member
I am about to go after my fuel tank leak. Can someone recommend a supplier for a good fly cutter to cut the holes. I purchased the panels from Vans, and I think the hole is 5 1/4". Thanks.

For that large of a hole it would be easier to lay-out the hole, then chain drill just inside the line using a #40 or #30 drill. Then finish to final dimension using a half round double cut or single cut file. When chain drilling a hole I like to use a scribe to do the lay-out instead of a sharpie since you cannot accidently wipe off the reference marks. If you are careful and take you're time with the file, the result can be as good as a hole saw or counterbore. I often use this method on instrument holes as well and if you are patient the result can be a custom zero gap fit that looks great.

since I was hand holding it, I got a 5" hole saw from harbor freight (in a kit of 10 of them) and used that. Sure made a big mess inside, but all worked out fine after cleaning it out and washing the insides out with water before closing it back up.

Nothin' to it.

fcikog.jpg

flh5co.jpg

2ajxe2p.jpg

Why not just cut a square? Proseal will seal it all up just fine.

Good question. :)

Whatever shape the hole, another option is a 'trim router' or 'cutout tool'
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-trim-router-61626.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-cutout-tool-42831.html
and a plunge type spiral cut bit. You can get high speed steel and carbide bits at any big box store. If it will cut wood, it will cut aluminum. Same principle as the circle cutters shown in earlier posts, but the tool has other uses, too.

A plywood or MDF pattern could be clamped to the back baffle, so that the bit follows the inside of the hole pattern.

Charlie

Why not just cut a square? Proseal will seal it all up just fine.

If you make an access panel or repair patch square you will need to ensure you have sufficient corner radius to prevent stress and resulting cracks. An easier way to take skin stress into consideration is to make the access panel circular, this is most likely the reason why round access panels are called out in this application

Back