What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost of trucking dismantled a/c cross country?

Saville

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to transport a completed but dismantled RV via truck?

Fuselage, wings & tanks separated for transport.

I realize it's a function of distance but I'd just like to get an idea of the costs. Projects come up for sale, from time to time, but they are in distant states.

Thanks

If you hire someone to haul it for you, expect to pay anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 per mile, plus loading/unloading.

Everyone has different comfort levels of how they pack their plane and what to take apart to move on a truck. I have not moved a flying airplane, but have moved the complete airframe with engine of my 9A from Colorado to Idaho, back to Colorado, then back to Idaho again. I hope that is the last time!

I have a 7'x16' two axel auto hauler. I took the engine off and took it off of the gear. I built a platform as wide as the trailer tall enough to put the wings and entire empennage in. I spanned the 7' with 2x4's at 20" oc with 3/4" plywood as the top. I then put the fuselage on top of the plywood platform. I started with the engine in the back on the deck of the trailer, but it put the CG on the trailer too far back. I built a plywood box and put the engine on the side of the fuselage over the two axels. I put a 1x6 through the wing channel and fastened it down with blocks. The engine mount makes a good tie down point but there isn't much in the back. My fuselage started as a tail dragger so I had the hardware in the back to use to tie that down.

I was able to get my entire plane, engine, compressor, and most of the tools on my trailer and it rode pretty well. I was able to do the 80mph speed limits in Utah and Idaho without too much problems.

As a disclaimer, I have been in construction my entire life and have hauled about everything used in construction. You need to understand how to tie things down, use blocks to keep things from shifting, and know how to load the trailer so you don't fishtail all over the place.

The other thing you need to do is call Kathy or Jenny and get insurance! That is a MUST before you or anyone else hauls your plane anywhere.

I recently did the leg work for what you ask. A coast to coast trip will run you about 5 grand, give or take a little. My route would have been from the Boston area to northern California. Get a quote from uhaul, they will give you your mileage allowance. From that you can guess your budget for fuel and lodging along the way. Get a quote for a 24' truck, you should be able to leave tail and engine attached, maybe...

Everyone has different comfort levels of how they pack their plane and what to take apart to move on a truck. I have not moved a flying airplane, but have moved the complete airframe with engine of my 9A from Colorado to Idaho, back to Colorado, then back to Idaho again. I hope that is the last time!

I have a 7'x16' two axel auto hauler. I took the engine off and took it off of the gear. I built a platform as wide as the trailer tall enough to put the wings and entire empennage in. I spanned the 7' with 2x4's at 20" oc with 3/4" plywood as the top. I then put the fuselage on top of the plywood platform. I started with the engine in the back on the deck of the trailer, but it put the CG on the trailer too far back. I built a plywood box and put the engine on the side of the fuselage over the two axels. I put a 1x6 through the wing channel and fastened it down with blocks. The engine mount makes a good tie down point but there isn't much in the back. My fuselage started as a tail dragger so I had the hardware in the back to use to tie that down.

I was able to get my entire plane, engine, compressor, and most of the tools on my trailer and it rode pretty well. I was able to do the 80mph speed limits in Utah and Idaho without too much problems.

As a disclaimer, I have been in construction my entire life and have hauled about everything used in construction. You need to understand how to tie things down, use blocks to keep things from shifting, and know how to load the trailer so you don't fishtail all over the place.

The other thing you need to do is call Kathy or Jenny and get insurance! That is a MUST before you or anyone else hauls your plane anywhere.

Great info.

I learned about C.G. in hauling the hard way:

I helped a friend move a Shelby Mustang. He backed the car fromt he inclined driveway onto the flat bed he borrowed.

Engine was to the rear.

Once he hit somethinglike 45 on the highway the whole trailer started to fishtail.

I thought I was dead.

Back hualers

Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to transport a completed but dismantled RV via truck?

Fuselage, wings & tanks separated for transport.

I realize it's a function of distance but I'd just like to get an idea of the costs. Projects come up for sale, from time to time, but they are in distant states.

Thanks
Uship.com is a website in which shippers bid against each other for loads. You give a pick up address, drop off address, and pick up/dropoff timeframe. The more lenient your are about pickup and drop off the lower they will bid. I purchased a sailplane in California moved it to a storage unit for a weekly rate and placed an add on uship. The lowest bidder delivered my craft to Tennessee for less than 600 dollars.

You should make sure it is packed properly before considering uship.

Last edited:
Trunk rental companies will offer lower prices if you bid them against each other.

As a data point, in July 2013, I moved from Virginia to California. 26' Penski truck cost $1925 and fuel was about $1300.
That was for 10 days and unlimited miles. I added some insurance as well for $200.

Use a U-Haul truck if you can get the size needed because it is lower and will be easier to load/unload.

But if you have access to a forklift or equivalent then it comes down to price and availability.

Glenn Wilkinson

It cost me nearly 3 grand and a huge amount of frustration for a one -way haul between Tucson and the Milwuakee area with Deland Barnstormers, a service that unfortunately I would not be able to recommed to anyone.

Go with Partain

I strongly recommend you call Partain Trading Co. Last year when I moved for Langley AFB VA to the DFW area, I priced Uhaul and Penske trucks for my RV-7A project. Fuse on gear, wings on cradle, engine in the box, plus most of my shop (tools, kit parts, compressor, etc). After gas, tolls, etc. I figured it'd cost about $2500.

Tony Partain bid quoted me $2400, with a professional driver pulling a trailer configured to haul RV projects, and he's insured. Best decision I've made in a long time. Give Partain a call.

I used Denan Transport to haul one from Seattle to D.C. for about $4500.
I used Partain to haul one from D.C. to Shreveport, LA for about $3,500

I was happy with both services, and it was cheaper (not to mention easier) than I could have done it.

Back when my RV-6 was wrecked in the SNF tornado I borrowed a friends Duramax diesel and a 22ft racecar trailer and had about $1500 in expenses just between fuel, food, and hotel for an overnight trip and back, 750mi each way.

Trunk rental companies will offer lower prices if you bid them against each other.

As a data point, in July 2013, I moved from Virginia to California. 26' Penski truck cost $1925 and fuel was about $1300.
That was for 10 days and unlimited miles. I added some insurance as well for $200.

I moved a 9A under construction from Denver area to DFW area in a Penske truck for ~$700 total. I had a 24 foot diesel (I think Uhaul has gas engines, I wanted the diesel torque) which fit the fuse with engine mounted. The axel nuts on the tires barely clear the doors but it can be done. Tied everything down real well and had zero problems.

Moving 10+ time in my life made this pretty easy - so if you're comfortable with driving and have good moving techniques it can be done cheaply. If I had the money, I would have paid someone and not deal with the hassle of driving 500+ miles in an uncomfortable truck!

Double check the insurance

I did an airplane move ten years ago and discovered that "real" insurance was hard to get. My car and homeowners did not apply, and with most companies, you got the minimum required for each state (almost uselessly low coverage) and could not buy more. Be careful!!

I have NationAir Insurance. My policy covers me moving on a trailer. The policy is very reasonable and covers me building at my house or at the airport. It gives me peace of mind while I build and really while I had my plane on the trailer!

I did an airplane move ten years ago and discovered that "real" insurance was hard to get. My car and homeowners did not apply, and with most companies, you got the minimum required for each state (almost uselessly low coverage) and could not buy more. Be careful!!

Back