What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Needed: RV-7 dual in northern VA

schaplerrh

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I may need some RV7 dual to meet insurance requirments. I'm buying a -7 located in AZ. I live in northern VA. Unsure about my options or how best to proceed.

Needed: RV-7 dual in northern VA or southern AZ

I'm unsure if the better option is to get the dual in AZ in the plane I'm buying, or to get the necessary dual instruction elsewhere in someone else's plane before I head to AZ. I don't know of another RV-7 I can use for dual so AZ may be the only practical option. What have others done in similiar situations?

Unsure about my options or how best to proceed.

Here's the deal:
1. If you pay or otherwise compensate someone else for the use of their RV-7 (this includes paying a cfi if you are using his plane), you (or at least the owner) is technically in violation of the FARs unless they have a waiver (called a "LODA"). The LODA is not difficult to get but does involve FAA paperwork. FAA enforcement of this rule seems very lax. The EAA has a list (a bit dated) on their web site of RV-7 LODA holders.

2. The typical owner's insurance policy is almost certainly void if you are getting dual in their plane. Unknown how the insurance company would actually react to an accident. Many pilots don't think about insurance until they need it.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply this is universally true. There are some well-known owners - all CFIs I think - who have the LODA and carry the proper insurance. This insurance is not inexpensive, so be prepared to pay a fair price.

3. Since every homebuilt plane is different, getting dual in your new airplane is far and away the best option. Also perfectly legal, and usually hassle free from your insurance company. Call the seller, get some recommendations for local cfi's who are familiar with the plane. Call them, get their experience numbers; get approval from your new insurance company for them to act as PIC in your new plane and give you the needed dual. (If you are going to go un-insured, skip all this and just find a cfi out there.)

Last edited:
I would just get it home and then find a cfi

I would find someone to get it to VA for you and get the dual at your home airport in your plane. That is what I did when I purchased my plane. There are plenty of people on the forum that could probably find or know of a CFI close to your hometown. Getting the plane home just needs a pilot with some time in an RV-7. You could ride along and get familiar with the airplane, even if it wasn't officially dual.

I would find someone to get it to VA for you and get the dual at your home airport in your plane. That is what I did when I purchased my plane. There are plenty of people on the forum that could probably find or know of a CFI close to your hometown. Getting the plane home just needs a pilot with some time in an RV-7. You could ride along and get familiar with the airplane, even if it wasn't officially dual.

An excellent option that I forgot.

Again, if you are concerned about insurance being valid, run the ferry pilot(s) and cfi(s) by the insurance company first. They usually will have no issues.

Technically, if you are paying the ferry pilot, he should have a commercial license and a one year or less old second class medical.

rv-7 instruction

John Mainville

CFI and builder RV-7 450 hours in aircraft

IF you need help call me 240 344 2813

Back