What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KFLY to KGUC

mchargmg

Well Known Member
Hello all,

A beautiful day in Colorado for a little mountain flight. We went from KFLY to KGUC over Monarch pass.

We normally skirt north of KCOS, here is the Air Force Academy, where I am lucky enough to work. Pikes Peak in the background.
1-DSC_0221.JPG

As you can see little in the way of weather to worry about. We listen to the AWOS on the top of Monarch to check winds. Monarch is pretty easy to find, head to Salida, and follow the road up the mountain.

1-DSC_0240.JPG

Hold your breath, the top of the pass is over 11,000 ft. There are 14,000 ft mountains on both sides.
1-DSC_0246.JPG

Gunnison has a huge runway, 9400x150ft. They bring in skiers during the winter via commercial jets.
1-DSC_0255.JPG

Trusty N92BF, what a great ride. W mountain is in the background. You come in over W mountain when landing on 06.

1-DSC_0258.JPG

Gunnison is home to Western State Colorado University. I lived there as a kid, and the football team would run up and down W mountain to train. Uneventful flight back, except the winds had picked up at KFLY when we returned; 15 Gusting 22 out of the west, we landed on 33.

Cheers

Geoff,

I'm glad you are enjoying N92BF! It is great knowing that it is in great hands, and you are enjoying her. It always was a Mountain airplane, Boise, then Reno and finally Colorado Springs... Keep up the trip reports.

Previous builder/owner

Based out of GUC several years ago camping at Pitkin for some mountain flying in college. GoodTimes!

Back