What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel computers

drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. What would one recommend for a single space fuel computer for
rv9a, lyc 160? Analog gages currently installed. I figure I need gph, used and remaining. Just need reliability and nothing terribly fancy. Thx, DM

Electronics International FP-5 works well in both of our planes. Easy to set up and monitor.

I installed the JPI FS-450 about a year ago. I've been very happy with it. It works with or without GPS (with a GPS it will give you things like MPG, and if the GPS is a flight plan, it also gives fuel-to-destination).

(I will admit I am about to remove it but only as part of a panel update where it will become redundant)

Last edited:
Fuel flow

Flight Data Systems FC-10. About as simple and inexpensive as it gets. Also ties into GPS. I use the MPG function, something not found on all of the simple instruments, fairly often. About 500 hours on mine without a hickup.

Flight Data Systems FC-10. About as simple and inexpensive as it gets. Also ties into GPS. I use the MPG function, something not found on all of the simple instruments, fairly often. About 500 hours on mine without a hickup.

I love this price! Plz educate me a tiny bit...what am I gonna have to do inside the tank, or is this a dump question? Don't understand how it tells qty.
Thank you! DM

+1 for FC-10

I love this price! Plz educate me a tiny bit...what am I gonna have to do inside the tank, or is this a dump question? Don't understand how it tells qty.
Thank you! DM
Nothing inside of the tank. You tell it the quantity when you fill the tank, it then calculates it based on fuel used. Mine is tied to the 396 GPS, it's easy to use and very accurate!

MGL Fuel Computer

i bought a 2 1/4 inch Fuel computer from MGL and it has worked great. It uses a Flow Scan flow meter and also connects to a GPS. All for a couple hundred dollars.

FP-5

Electronics International FP-5 works well in both of our planes. Easy to set up and monitor.
Spruce has the FP-5L on sale $100 off, so will order this. Curious, is there a place that already has a fuel tube prefabricated, for my standard RV9a with Lyz 0-320 D1A, to accept the -60 fuel xducer?

For a standalone instrument we prefer either the Electronics International or the Flight Data Systems unit. Actually the FDS unit slightly more, just because they are normal folk who are also RV folk that I try to support when I can. Either way, you'll be quite happy with the device. Note that the FDS unit also uses the same superior Electronics International sensor that most of the other units as well as the current EFISes all use (so that if you ever upgraded to an EFIS you could keep the same transducer).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

For a standalone instrument we prefer either the Electronics International or the Flight Data Systems unit. Actually the FDS unit slightly more, just because they are normal folk who are also RV folk that I try to support when I can. Either way, you'll be quite happy with the device. Note that the FDS unit also uses the same superior Electronics International sensor that most of the other units as well as the current EFISes all use (so that if you ever upgraded to an EFIS you could keep the same transducer).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein
You mean "slightly more" as in price? The FC-10 by FDS is less $'s than the EI unit, so I am not following your statement.

Also I always avoid JPI because I remember their internet bullying against Matronics (in many ways the predecessor of the VAF).

fuel hose

Can someone chime in on what hose I need to purchase? Or pipe? I'm uncertain of this and want to get everything ordered that is required to do the job. Thx, DM

You mean "slightly more" as in price? The FC-10 by FDS is less $'s than the EI unit, so I am not following your statement.

I meant we like that one slightly more...but then again the guys at E.I. Are always top notch as well. Can't go wrong with either!

Cheers,
Stein

Back