What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and RV-7 wing interchangeability

Daesharacor

I'm New Here
All-

I'm currently in the process of setting my budget for an RV-7 slow build. I've got the plans and the practice kit, and I'm excited as all **** to get going.

Anyway, I was speaking with one of my dad's good friends, and he informed me that back around the year 2000, he started an RV-8. Finished the empennage with electric trim, and received the wings which he hasn't started on yet.

My question is whether I can use either or both to cut down on my costs by using some or all of the pieces. I missed Van's tech support window last night, so if there's anybody out there who can give me a real answer (no guesses or "I heard that" answers, please), I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

I believe the spar attachements to/in the fuselage are different. Since Vans supply the spars pre-drilled / assembled, and would assume these form the bulk of the costs of the wing kit, I doubt there would be a huge benefit?

Skins/ribs/tips I am sure are the same, and in theory would save. That's before however you get into Van's pricing of individual parts v complete kits.

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

I second that

I would build an 8, and get the friend to help. It will go much quicker and be more fun with more builders/ support. JMO

On the slow build 7, the rear spar is a -8 spar until it is trimmed. the lower inboard 8 skin has a Naca vent that is not on the 7. I do not know about interchangeability of the ailerons and flaps.

AltonD - So you think it'd be useable? What's the NACA duct on the -8 for?

Also, I do not want an -8. I want the side by side so that my wife will fly with me. I flew for a couple years with my dad in his Decathlon (tandem seating) and it really wasn't as fun as his Luscombe (side by side) because I couldn't see the instruments, couldn't see what he was doing with his feet, etc etc.

Anybody have any thoughts on the empennage?

the NACA duct in the -8 wing is...

the NACA duct in the 8 wing bottom skin is for rear passenger ventilation.

It is not present in the 7 because there, well, is no rear passenger. One important difference between the 7 and 8 is the shape of the rear spar stub. If it's not been built or worked on-- it will work in either a 7 or 8.

I'd be most interested in the fact that the wing, when ordered, comes with the center section that has been match drilled at the factory. I've read that this doesn't matter and that wings for the most part are interchangeable because of the precision at the factory, but if the wings started life as a -7 and you are going to an -8 then you'll have to buy the spar carry through.

Back to the spar attachment question?

I am building an RV-8. A friend gave me his wooden spar spacers that he used on his RV-7A. The spar bolt holes did not line up. I had to turn the blocks around and re-drill the holes. I think this is a show stopper. I would call Van?s, maybe there is a work around. I know they have been asked this question before.

Back