What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N825LL First Flight

boom3

Well Known Member
Yesterday morning I had my DAR inspection at 9am. Everything went great and I was issued my Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations. Since I had the whole day off I started putting everything back together. My friend Harry ended up coming by to help and we had it done by 2. Went and got some Teriyaki and discussed the flight plan. Right around 4PM I took off with Smitty flying chase in his RV-6.

What a great flying airplane! No heavy wing.

Big thanks to my family, friends, EAA-326, VAF, and very supportive wife! I couldn't have done it without everyone.

Dsc_0111.jpg

Dsc_0122.jpg

I'm supposed to fly solo during phase I but couldn't leave George behind. He's about as old as I am and as kids we used to get in a lot of trouble together. Hard to tell his facial expressions since they washed off years ago, but I think he enjoyed it.
(Thanks to Mom for saving him all these years) :D

Dsc_0125.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEP. that is an RV grin if I ever saw one.

George.jpg

Good job on the plane, and first flight.

Enjoy.....

Great job, a very good looking plane and congradulations. Be safe and the next 40 hours will be over soon enough and you get to enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Congrats

There is NOTHING better than taking off in a plane you built, flying out over the country somewhere and just enjoying the freedom of your very own airplane.

Enjoy it and be safe through test period.

Fantastic

Yea Jeff! I have been watching for this moment. Fly on over. You know my house. Ok then put it in the test plan :rolleyes: Congratrulations. Todd

Congratulations, Jeff!!! What a GORGEOUS airplane! I love your paint job.

Any chance you'll be out of the box by mid-June? Consider coming down to Scappoose for the great Northwest RV Fly-in! It's June 18th. Great food, great people, great time, lots of RV's. I know a lot of locals who would love to see your plane.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

I was able to get two more half hour flights this week. Yesterday at 6:30am and this morning at 5:30. Circling the airport at 3000ft probably doesn't sound too exciting but man o man. The peacefulness, the scenery, the cool stable air, all from the cockpit of an airplane I built in my garage. Is there anything better? Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about, and the rest of you soon will. Wow!

morning1.jpg

morning2.jpg

If things continue to go well I'll probably start to adventure out a little next week. (Baby steps)

My Phase I test area is a 50NM radius around KCLS so I can't quite make it to Crest or Scappoose guys. I really don't think I'll have my 40 before the RV Flyin but I'll see if I can bum a ride.;)

Hi Jeff, congratulations on your first flights! I got your message but I haven't been able to call back - I finally got on flying lears for the air ambulance company out of Boeing Field and have been busting *** all week running up to Alaska and Montana. The good news is my project is full steam ahead now - I should be picking up the wing kit in a couple weeks right after my wedding.

Back