What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Your best or most awesome picture of your RV sitting on the ground"

Earlier today...

bjRoeOwl.jpg

Sharp! Is it Alvord or elsewhere?

Three Tail Draggers: One Photo

Today at lunch was at the airport to take some pictures of my RV for my paint project.

Boy did I time it right! Three tail draggers in this photo, RV-6, DC3 and flying in the far right background is a Curtiss C-46 Commando.

3_Tail_Draggers_Copy.jpg

Yes, the C46 makes a bigger "Roar". It just took off and is on a crosswind, heading to the West.

Anybody know the reason for the "different " Tail on the DC3?

Here is a zoom when the C46 is leaving the downwind:

3_Tail_Draggers2_Copy.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I'd say it's an ex military C-117, or Super DC-3. External differences are the squared off tail, cowlings, and main gear doors (just visible below the wing's leading edge). Not many built.

Doug
Seattle area

I vote for that B-17 with the RV7. With that Magnificent sky it should be in a big frame hanging somewhere special.

OK, That shot is awesome too Danny! The B-17 gets the nod slightly for me as my great Uncle flew 17's in the 8th in WWII so they hold a special place in my heart.

I never got to meet him as he died in a Piper Cruiser (I think) on a rescue mission 15-20 years before I was born. But he was the reason my grandfather flew, and thus likely the reason I do. I linked to an old Standard oil add from the March 1953 Flying Magazine featuring him (Paul Fleming) and I can recall being at that hangar at the bottom of the ad ever since I was a little guy even though a different FBO was operating out of it.

books

Last edited:
did you park at homebuilt parking on Wednesday? that is a beautiful paint job.

Thank you. No, I didn't fly into the show. I have a friend whose sister lives in St. Pete so we stay with her. I flew into Albert Whitted this year. I'll be in HBC at OSH of course! Counting the days....

Glamour Shot

Had a local gent that wanted to get a ride in an RV...he's thinking about buying one. Afterwards, I found out he was a photographer and specialized in "light painting". I had no clue what it was or what was involved, but he wanted to do a shot of my plane as a trade for the ride. This is the result. I know it doesn't look quite 'natural', but the 16x24 metal print looks stunning on our den wall.
7pc4gUKf0MCF47IBW6Cb4FMQKCcmB0_Zc7yq--7mjmXnmmQND_Rn27qhJ8GLc9Ww8F0hJxMouVoR1-3hok0JMKN18ZpYkiBz_2aWdJnjEq18Qb25von30_gODYd7ilBuvvnzieRwoC8Zcr4BfZ5eqyRdvDt7KsGSCev3cUvEZbXJLxRgitv2qZf99CevlNipJfjypR4fAqxJ_V_abbaQakKqr-Jw9PexsbnifQmGxZKv8L7lvfggk18hK0trHrDcS5AtCbMphbkMbplsUEtsW4djhYtk9iZX9UzxBtJeBtyUTov_SW7cKo2oPqUjeq6guCKzW-zF-KGkJ4gYDcIZhY9OGGP1jkCT52j8tWJztnlpy7ZYuSLRStj_y2ui75nQ6IeqjecNnBAuzqD9dDa8TvWwsEZijwKAhpQZKODEBPk6r-p4D5Og3Epg5Oy5qKL1PQ-Yl97aGczZlbMZiaO8_jGbJBwyVs4vZR5rbmbStVXQQ3vHtwdGmCVYJfpmikHje2HPJnoMOPHj9cRRtCVxaHao5EyM5T5VNWqqhau18GkZMG992Xrs4hEnq9NdPa9JolnHbI2iJqtyWnTHA_zyRY92FAkBv0_2oqam3Z38vN9VzBMRPhm9zsVdmlmowErnk2b181cm--CkfYhr_BVzd4gNPvyTdmcq_r4KjD_80pp-mLq6c1tIp3csGBHBSG-Jch8-xxpW9ubc48PEEnxr6zRy=w1100-no

Here's one for a more natural look. Taken at KMWL. You Texas folks will appreciate this photo in a couple of ways. ;)

5CiyCInlV1zqHPdt1mF3Rsn6hV96-PDU-35kyApWbteOL5ip9pDUJatq_MaDXc74sFXl1Jxd81vV2aZ09Lq07pNPrgjdEKTAju5v0JnHdTsurpHnvUJDA7dIt1MCZwz5uw6tVWBvONflJhP7Tzu7hafz_hZZoSW7CZTH7uQavPZDpJlVbWqq1Wu_fDAbkiJlZV-UGWdGhoZhgq98PuQM5Fl23QlWBteiqtfwwwctcMruZk54W_wHGyhK46qG1auGW8Y2vAIIP-4Uw5K4QNEGl79pAY3YwV9rak4bK7ikPNol0jlKE_-mV4sxxcFMr2gcFnotwmk7cPa13E1ynd_YoYSOZ3FyJi2ffW2BxLYm650qAAWia1PbHZDphCQFNgsRHVZxLnZpuxYL-j6FdxxK6oEPZd8Zx0i7J3rdEmcyGQtXC6auz-hgipdyWOZ8z45yIL9gRJSxU1aea0SC741A2pylEIa6YyffxVHYlTT8xLWuTWiYUchC45lFZZ8TkBcA3igaeIp7ygpC7q5cQbc1VpvLExhzHN9ZHRQSnJvvl6giMiAt5tQk8YfZr5HQDC-yNZeFXlp6sMDV34ov12TShEveb3B5YgIgtDfYuuVA4AuIoS7Z95Nxk-pOmzbgYWaCptlkxGhvojvZmg620BvEjC81t3LaWECyZOWofEym5wXJJPMPan0UkZzcR-cZJjkuY3ZGfjAlVSo1-mJNabRVtZ6L=w900-no

Last edited:
A stylized version of 'Voltar' will appear in an animated program from a major studio in the near future....

Voltar_CYPK.jpg

Following photo credit Rob 'Tweety' Prior:

Voltar_sunset.jpg

EDIT: I suddenly remembered that I first soloed at the same place the first picture was taken.....
solo.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my Picture (lets hope it shows up)

Actually it is a photo of a painting of a photo.....

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/W652bSs"><a href="//imgur.com/W652bSs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Making friends with another 3

My RV-3 had an opportunity to pose for a pic with another 3 today.

408E0B86-48FF-4235-AC19-67DA8EA52A5C.jpeg

I?m sure I?ll have an opportunity for a better pic in the near future as my RV-3 will soon be living across the runway from this DC-3 at a residential airpark just north of Denver International.

My RV-3 had an opportunity to pose for a pic with another 3 today.

408E0B86-48FF-4235-AC19-67DA8EA52A5C.jpeg

I’m sure I’ll have an opportunity for a better pic in the near future as my RV-3 will soon be living across the runway from this DC-3 at a residential airpark just north of Denver International.

Rod,
Nice pic! One of the few times where you can open with a pair of 3's... :D

Last edited:
It is great to see the CT 3 again! What a cool plane. I used to see it almost daily when I went to my good friend's hangar. It looks good next to it's big brother too!

Awesome 7A at Wright Brothers Memorial 4/23/19

Here is a pic of my SoCal friend who now is living in SoGa :) KPXE. One of the nicest 7A's you will find. Rumor has it that he received Craftsmanship award recently at Sun n Fun 2019

Salute Keith Sremaniak N325KS

Last edited:
Back