What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS 4500 and Kavlico pressure senders

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I've been in communication with the folks at Advanced Flight Systems today to nail down the information required to use Kavlico sensors in lieu of the VDO units with the AFS 4500 EFIS.

The Kavlico senders use 5 volts and send a voltage to the EFIS rather than resistance.

To switch, your 4500 must have a -v in the part number indicating it will take the voltage. If you do not have the -v part, you can either send your unit back to AFS and they will modify it, or if you wish, they can send you an instruction sheet to do the mod yourself.

The mod is dirt simple, so if you built your plane, you can handle this. It involves opening the box and clipping a couple jumpers or scratching a connection on the PCB effectively doing the same thing. Piece of cake.

Another thing that bugged me was having to run new wires to pull the 5 volts from the EFIS, but I'm told that a lot of folks tap into the 5 volts that feeds the manifold pressure sender. That's already in the engine compartment so that's a whole lot easier and faster.

That's it. If you want a copy of the modification instructions you can email them or PM me and I'll send it to you.

You can source the senders directly from AFS. Doubt you'll find them cheaper anywhere else.

There you go. Everything you need to know about that!

Just fitted the wires and sensors today as part of my upgrade from 3500 to a dynon Ems feeding the new AFS5500. Took no time really.

Back