What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Canopy Install

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
The 14 canopy is a rather large item and needs to be handled carefully. Holding the unit for trimming and fitting requires a steady but flexible work surface.
Typically I use chunks of foam for this job they all seem to have gone missing.
When I unpacked the finish kit I filled four garbage bags with packing paper and set them aside in anticipation of fitting the canopy. Here they are with one wrap
of duct tape to hold them loosely together

szdj75.jpg

Now for the canopy. A bed of material like this allows you to rotate and slide the canopy around to make working on all edges convenient, yet stable.

20iaqfq.jpg

This fitting went quite well, with just a bit of material removed from the aft corners and material, as per plans, removed from the front. It was on and off the
airplane more then a few times to get the fit I wanted. Three and a half hours, from start to ready to drill.
Note the pile of firewood! It is necessary to get the shop quite warm when working with plexi.

bjaavo.jpg

Last edited:
I see MARVIN the Martian in the background with his arms in the air signalling the canopy is almost done !

Wow Tom, you move quick once the crops are in! Is that a access panel that added forward of the canopy?

Hope to see you soon at the weekly feed at Gary's. I'd like to ask you for a few recommendations/suggestions as I approach the same area of my build.

Cheers Jim

Jim, winter is here and my flying activities will take a back seat to the wood stove in the shop! If we get a really nice wednesday then I will get the plane out and make the 15 minute run to CYKF

Guys, finishing the edges of plexiglass to a smooth finish can be very time consuming but necessary. The method I use involves the use of a sharp blade from a wood plane. Hold the blade with the angle away from you, using a slight angle draw the blade towards yourself. Once you get the hang of it you will really enjoy the process. A few passes can make a nice rounded edges with no sharp nicks. If the edge had a slight wave caused by the initial saw you may need to use a sanding bloc for a couple of light passes or the blade will chatter. I typically use no sandpaper on the final canopy edges and if you get the knack of the scrapper, neither will you!
This idea is from woodworking where cabinet scrappers are often used for the final finish. The following short video will give you an idea of how it works.
This is just an alternative, use it at your own risk, and of course practice on some scraps first. Unfortunately the RV14 does not come with enough material to make scraps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwW4gCdfmA4

Last edited:
Canopy final drilled today, removed for hole clean up. The canopy will be set aside now until the interior and canopy frame are painted, likely sometime in the new year. 5 hours today to drill the main canopy to the side rails and aft canopy bow. Nice to get that past so I can turn down the heat in the shop!!

49 hours to date in Canopy and aft window work. Final installation and glass work to go.

Back