What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying an RV is.....

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
When I talk with student pilots or GA pilots who have never flown an RV I always try to describe what it is like to fly one. I have a hard time expressing what it is really like. I've said that "C or P" brands are like a Yugo or VW Bug and an RV is a Porsche. I have never driven a Porsche or a Yugo (many of the younger generation don't even know what a Yugo is/was) but I did own a Bug or two.

So I am throwing this question out the RV community. Please finish the sentence.

Flying an RV is ?

I like the VW vs Porche comparison. Both have horizontally opposed, air cooled 4 cylinder engines, just like Cherokees and RVs. Compare the performance and handling of the two and it is appropriate.

I owned a Cherokee 140 until my first ride in a RV-8 and subsequent ride in an F1 Rocket. I also owned a 1973 Super Beetle and stepped up to a 1973 Mustang shortly after.

It's a little different for us 10 drivers...

An old 182 is like driving a 1983 Chevy Caprice Wagon.

The RV10 is like driving a 2016 Audi Q7

I just tell people double your rate of climb and add 50 knots to your cruise speed.

Granted, ive never flown an RV, but im building one:)

i like the bug 911 comparison, because at the basic level they are the same car, flat motor, rear engine, basic floor pan are all the same idea. in the early years, not much difference in weight and size, but two different ends of the performance spectrum.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Flying an RV is like...

...strapping on a set of wings. You think it, it does it.

Less for the RV-10, obviously, but given its size, its a harmonious bird too.

RV9A v Cherokee

The "Niner" flies like Cherokee on performance steroids with far less cost to own and maintain!

Flying an RV....

Not as good as a Pitts, but much more practical, useful and comfortable. Flame suit on! Don't get me wrong. I love my -8.

Back