What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you ship RV parts reasonably?

andyg

Just got some shipping quotes from UPS and FEDEX for some RV parts to CA from MO. WOW!

So how do you ship your RV parts (elevators and wing tips) reasonably?

I bought my tail off of VAF and it was shipped via Forward Air fairly reasonably. They don't come direct to your home. You pick it up at a their dock which hopefully isn't too far from your house.

Little pieces or big components?

The first thing I have is: are you talking about fully assembled parts or just kit parts? Insurance could be the issue. Of course, a completed elevator is worth more than small pieces.

Second, don't even think of telling them that you are shipping "aircraft parts."

I called Van's and believe I talked to Barbara (years ago) and she told me to have it shipped under something to the effect of:

(Code number ??) Miscellaneous aluminum bar, angle and sheet.

I had this problem when I bought a wing kit in Virginia and had it shipped to California via ABF. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just got some shipping quotes from UPS and FEDEX for some RV parts to CA from MO. WOW!

So how do you ship your RV parts (elevators and wing tips) reasonably?

Greyhound bus lines also ships items. I've found for larger items such as wing tips the fee is much less then ups or fedex.

Bill

Have you tried uShip?

I shipped an entire QB fuselage kit from Carson City, NV to the Atlanta area for well under $1000 including insurance. There were two large crates and I recall the total weight being around 1000 pounds.

uShip is a bidding service and various freight brokers will bid on your shipment. My shipment actually came on UPS Freight. Once you accept an offer, you can communicate with the specific broker for pickup and drop off info, plus special requests (like insurance). It wasn't pain free as my broker was in Miami and they did not speak good English, but overall I was satisfied and would use uShip again.

If you can hold out, the offer prices will get lower and lower.

https://www.uship.com/

Tr shipping to Canada

Shipping to Canada you get the exchange dollar thing, the distance and customs fees................ sure hope I enjoy this thing when it is built!

In answer to your question, in my case you dont have options.... you just pay pay pay!

shipping

I mailed a Citabria rudder from Detroit to Anchorage, about 7 years ago, by Parcel Post. $125.00. Wrapped in heavy corrigated cardboard, reinforced with some 1 x 2s inside. USPS Parcel Post is not very speedy but it arrived untouched, and the lowset cost.

Shipxfreight

I recently, as in two weeks ago, had a James cowl shipped from ky to wa . It wasn't heavy but the box was huge. FedEx wanted $400 and ups about the same. I plugged the numbers in shipxfreight.com and was able to ship fedex freight for $180. They came and picked it up from a car dealer business and dropped it off at an FBO a few miles from my house. Was absolutely no hassle and on time.

Scott

Back