What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Breaker...

A very old thread, but i wanted to revive it because i'm looking for advice on a tool to carry in the RV to break the canopy in the event of an accident and being unable to open it. ACS has this tool: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/snapper05-12378.php?clickkey=248952
But that appears to be just for clearing shards out of the way of a canopy that is already broken. The link on the message above no longer works. Any suggestions for a tool to carry for this purpose?

Yes, I think it is great to revive this thread.

A particular concern is that being upside down, hanging from your harness, it would be hard to get any significant 'swing' to a hammer-type device. I doubt I could get enough striking force to break anything.

There are spring-loaded punch devices that are pretty good on tempered glass, but I don't think they would help much on acrylic.

I could imagine a CO2 cartridge powered thing kind of like an epi-pen that would shoot a small shot shell charge or maybe a single device that is maybe cruciform shaped which would introduce radial cracks that could then be broken out?

I purchased a small survival hatchet, for just such an incident. About 6 inch long and has an axe head on one end with hammer on the other. Multiple tools as well. Came with a nice Cary case. Got it from a company in Canada. Reasonable price. Tho I don’t remember the name of the company. Should not be hard to find. Just look for survival equipment.

Hope this helps
RD

I purchased a small survival hatchet, for just such an incident. About 6 inch long and has an axe head on one end with hammer on the other. Multiple tools as well. Came with a nice Cary case. Got it from a company in Canada. Reasonable price. Tho I don’t remember the name of the company. Should not be hard to find. Just look for survival equipment.

Hope this helps
RD

I have a hard time imagining how I am going to swing a hatchet inside the cockpit of an RV-8, hanging upside down.

Just look at it sideways, that's what makes them crack during construction....
Or, aim for a bird! :D

Signed,
Mr. Helpful

We Tried Some Out

Sorry, the video we were going to make from our tests didn’t happen but here are some findings: if you’re upside down, best to stay strapped in. The knurled, hand-held aluminum canopy breaker does not work well. The spring loaded center punch doesn’t work well either. The automotive windshield hammer was poor. A hatchet was pretty good. We keep a survival hatchet under the co-pilot’s seat.

I use a small Milwaukee Hackzall. Cut thru a solid steel ruler shaped metal bar, twice, with the same blade in about 90 seconds at HD where I bought it. Have it vecroed about where the rear seater's left ankle would be, (altho it doesn't get in his way) Oughta go thru the side of my 8 like a hot knife thru butter. Unless of course, I don't have a left hand anymore. Maybe I should velcro one on the right side too.:D
Regarding Post #5, at least in an 8, or a 4, I don't think one could get a good hit on the canopy due to not being able to throw your arm much. Maybe in a side by side, but not in a tandem. (Got the idea here on VAF years ago)
People have said " But yeah, what about running gasoline and sparks? I'd rather blow up, than burn to death slowly--- hopfully I'm out before that would happen.

Last edited:
I really like the CO2-powered mini-hammer idea that someone had mentioned earlier, but until someone invents it I guess my 9mm will have to do.

I really like the CO2-powered mini-hammer idea that someone had mentioned earlier, but until someone invents it I guess my 9mm will have to do.

Hope the rescuers coming to your aid are not deterred by the sound of 9mm bullets wizzing by.

Saw blade question ?

Does anyone have a toothed blade recommendation for plex cutting by hand ?
What have you cut to confirm functionality?
Example :
Thickness
Teeth per inch
Depth front to back
Source for purchase

I am convinced the only way to get out of a 3/4/or 8 is a hollow point starter hole and hand held blade if you have a functioning arm.

Budd Davisson design, circa a long time ago. His ad said ‘can you put your fist through your canopy?’ I can’t, so bought his escape knife. Not sure if he still sells them.

Attachments

• 09B6C2E8-BE4C-463D-AACC-3BD0A09FB7DB.jpeg
    09B6C2E8-BE4C-463D-AACC-3BD0A09FB7DB.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Canopy escape tool.....

I have always carried a KA-BAR USMC knife in both of my airplanes. I have the 5 inch blade with a 4 inch leather-grip handle (9.5 inches overall) and it stays in my map pocket, the sheath velcroed to the side wall. Immediately handy to both hands. Has a VERY pointed tip and serrations at the hilt end. It is a multifunction knife that would be handy for other things (other than braking the canopy) in the event of an unscheduled landing. You want an instrument with a good handle that could be easily held with an injured hand. I looked at other tools but couldn't see carrying something that had a single function. https://www.kabar.com/products/1250 The web site is having a 50% off sale today and tomorrow!

The RV-4s might be unique in that the roll-over structure would probably break the canopy if you happened to get upside down. Making more pieces and moving them would be the task at hand. And, yes, REMAIN BELTED IN as you need the space between you and the canopy preserved by your restraint system to give you some space to work in. Then SLOWLY let yourself down by using the friction fittings on both the shoulder harness and belt. Nothing like surviving the incident to 'fall' the short distance with all your weight on your HEAD AND NECK......:eek::eek: Hopefully none of us will have to report the effectiveness of any of this....:)

Amazon has several axes similar to the Rose, at a slightly higher price. Just scroll down once you get to the site. Take your pick, or wait till they are back in stock. Possibly back order it.

Hope this helps
RD

An old railroad spike

I used to carry an old railroad spike around for this. Heavy, sharp on one end and rounded on the other. Fits nicely in the hand also.

Attachments

• 1487037E-917D-414B-8389-D3D173461EFC.jpeg
    1487037E-917D-414B-8389-D3D173461EFC.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Tactical pen. And you can copy clearances between shattering you canopy.

Building my own

Would like to know how thick our canopies are just forward of the seating area.
Plan to incorporate a slot to break out pieces of the plexi after a hole is made.
Thanks.

Back