What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Servo location?

Doug Lewis

Well Known Member
Running wires and air lines in QB wings. Everything I've seen on the roll servo show it in the right wing but I recently spoke to a local RV guru who suggested putting it in the fuselage. Searching here I can find several threads that mention preferences to the fuselage location, but none of the links or pictures work now. Garmin only shows the wing option for the 8 in their manual. Is there a reason to still consider the fuse or am I overthinking the decision?

I'm with Walt.

I think the wing option (per Garmin) would be the easiest way to go.
If you wish to do different, check TruTrak or Dynon documentation for alternate methods.

Last edited:
Mounting In Wing

I suggest you stick with the Garmin recommended install.

Certainly using Garmin's recommended installation location and following their drawings will lead to the easiest installation. I have my TruTrak roll servo mounted in TruTrak's recommended location for the -8 which is under the front seat and it works well there.

With that said, as a general manner of principle l prefer too keep as much equipment and weight out of the wings as possible. The reason is two-fold: 1. Mounting equipment in the wings can result is a bit longer wire runs than if located in the cabin area of the fuselage, and this increases weight. 2. Adding weight outboard on the wings increases the polar moment of inertia about the roll and yaw axes which can have an undesirable effect on roll responsiveness, yaw responsiveness, and spin characteristics.

Skylor

I did both - once in the fuselage for the Trio servo, and then in the wing with the GRT servo. I found that the wing is easier to install, more solid installation, and easier to inspect.

Back