What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wichita Airports?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have to stop in to Wichita (KS) for a one or two night visit on the northwest side of town. KAAO seems to be the closest to my destination, but thought I'd check and see what folks think - All I need is tiedown, fiuel, a rental car, and a hotel. Any suggestion on the best airport and FBO?

I’ve flown into KAAO a couple of times years ago with Beech KingAirs for overnight stops. I’m pretty sure that MidWest Corporate is the only FBO - they always provided great service, including arranging rental cars. Mind you, we always bought 200 or more gallons of fuel.

I’ve no idea what it costs for a tie down though - no competition always makes me nervous on the price.

Last edited:
Hey Paul,

I live 40 miles up the road in Hutchinson. Jabara is a pretty nice airport and is probably your best bet. Lots of corporate aviation and general aviation traffic mixed. Wichita Mid Continent is not too bad but Jabara is just an easier stop. Plenty of stuff close by.

If you have time for a great burger and beer at a cool, relaxed restaurant on a super busy airport community, head over to Stearman Field at Benton just a few miles away. I might fly over there this Friday or Saturday just to enjoy the place.

Yingling Aviation at KICT

Hi Paul,
You will have very good service at either KAAO or at KICT. I use both but currently have my RV9A at KICT, FBO is Yingling Aviation. Rental cars available. Great folks. Fuel off the truck or self serve just walking distance from the FBO. Three runways that tower will direct you to. Comes in handy if that pesky Wichita wind picks up. This is where I learned to fly. Stearman Field to the east has great breakfast. Taxi right up to the front of the restaurant. One of the better steak houses in Kansas is the Scotch & Sirloin on Kellogg, about half way between KAAO and KICT. I will be there in August to pick up my plane to bring home to Houston. When are you going to be there?

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT

dues paid

Paul,

A few good choices in wichita, but if you need a rental then KAAO and KICT would be the only ones with rentals on site. I live close to both - If you have any down time it would be great to meet you for a beverage.

I am hangared at Benton (1K1). There's a nice restaurant on the field and free tie downs there, but no on-site car rentals.

Westport (small airport just East of ICT)

I'm headed to Wichita on Saturday. Westport said their tie downs are free. Runway is 30 ft wide.

Note: Riverside airport (Northwest Wichita) is closed but is still on the map.

Last edited:
Paul, I second all the suggestions above. When I go to Wichita I always use KAAO. Also, do make time to hop over to 1K1 to see a really cool airport restaurant!

- Matt

Westport

"I'm headed to Wichita on Saturday. Westport said their tie downs are free. Runway is 30 ft wide."
Steve, Westport is locally named "Dead Cow International". Story has it that a Beech 18 twin hit a cow while landing at night. Yikes.
Short runway and either come in over the school bus parking on the south or the street from the north over the barbed wire fence. Been in and out three times during training and it was a character builder each time. Warehouses are close to the runway and it really looks like you are landing in an alley on approach.
For car rental, still better off at KAAO or KICT.
Enjoy your visit.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A. N942PT

Dues paid

I've stayed overnight at KAAO a couple times a year. Gas is spendy, but no tie down fees and nice FBO. Just make sure you land at the right airport! There are 4 of them all around and all aligned in the same direction. Earlier this year a Boeing Dreamliner landed at KAAO by mistake!

Vince
RV-7

1k1

Paul, I live at Stearman Field, 1K1. As mentioned, no rental cars, or hotels nearby, but it is a practically a requisite if coming to Wichita, to fly over to 1K1 and visit the restaurant. I'd love to meet you there and buy you a beverage - a pop if you fly in - There are several RV's in various phases of construction here at the field, including a -4 in my garage.

I genuinely hope you can make time to come by and see us!

Gregg

Paul,

Too bad I'm no longer in Wichita. My house (still own it) is about 5 minutes from KAAO, and has 3 extra bedrooms. I'd really have liked to invite you over and have a visit. I also like 3AU (Augusta), but it is a bit out of your way, and no rental cars as far as I know.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I (of course) typed my first note - my business is on the northeast side of town, between Jabara and Stearman, so I ended up at Jabara, and following some good advice I got via PM, made sure I personally got the airplane to its tie down spot and saw it properly fueled. Now sitting in a hotel nearby for the evening if anyone in town wants to get together - drop me a note at [email protected] . I might just drive over to Stearman to have a look - had enough flying for one day! I'll be busy flying tomorrow, and leaving for Oshkosh on Monday.

Nice two-hop fromCarson City today - left home before sun-up, stopped for fuel at Montrose, CO, and got over Monarch Pass before the thunder-bumpers built up. Smooth cruise at 13.5K, sipping fuel at 6.5 gph, LOP. That gives me just about 160 knots in the RV-8. Gotta love these things! Two-hop to go over 1,000 nm in little over six hours.

Last edited:
TRY TO GO HERE since you are so close to Hutchinson KS. Amazing stuff! Old Soviet space hardware, the Liberty Bell (Gus Grissom), The Apollo 13 Command Module plus lots more. http://www.cosmo.org One of the best museums I have ever been in.

Glad you made it out, Paul. I was at both Jabara and Stearman (via SuperCub) this morning, but didn't see Val so I figured you were still in route. Enjoy your stay and safe travels the next couple weeks!

TRY TO GO HERE since you are so close to Hutchinson KS. Amazing stuff! Old Soviet space hardware, the Liberty Bell (Gus Grissom), The Apollo 13 Command Module plus lots more. http://www.cosmo.org One of the best museums I have ever been in.

Unfortunately, this is a working trip, so I don't have the time, but the Cosmosphere is, indeed a good museum. I do have to be careful at places liek that - some consider ME to be "old space memorabelia".......;)

Brad - would have ben fun to get together. I am going to be flying locally today and leaving at first light tomorrow. I don't currently have plans this evening.

Paul

Westport

I'll be on the look out for dead cows on the runway.

I didn't see any dead cows but found a lot of nice people at Westport airport. I'll be back. Fuel is cash or check or they will send you a bill on the honor system. Grass strip is parallel and adjacent to hard surface runway.

IMG_20140720_163146.jpg

IMG_20140720_153158.jpg

IMG_20140720_162413.jpg

IMG_20140720_155242.jpg

IMG_20140720_155139.jpg

Last edited:
Dead Cow International

That 24' wide runway looks thin on approach. They do have nice folks there. Beech 18's fly a lot of UPS packages out of Westport during the holidays.
I have that airport landing in my limited log book. Glad you enjoyed it.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A. N942PT

Back