What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting hoses cleanly

n567vb

Hi,

Aerosport power gave me an assembled fuel hose with my engine. It is too long, but I was thinking I could make two hoses out of one bycutting it half.

This hose appears to be Aeroquip 666 hose (label says 1500 psi). I can't seem to cut it without the steel braid flaring out. I've tried the masking tape and safety wire tricks, and they do keep the braid from flaring, until you remove them, then the braid flares out. These tricks seem to work fine on Aeroquip 601 hoses.

Is there a trick to cutting 666 hose, or a tip to get the fitting on the 666 hose when the braid has flared slightly (without buying a $100 tool!).

Thanks
Vince
RV-7

Yup - a cut-off wheel on a die-grinder body always give me a nice clean cut, once i have wrapped the braid in tape. I did buy one of those cool tool sets that help you insert the hose end after you have cut the braid - really cuts down on the frustration of insertion, I'll tell you!

Paul

Dremel

I used a modification of what others have discussed with great success.

1) I used some thick type CA (instant glue from my RC supplies) and spread it around the cut line. Allow to cure. If you have the accelerator it will go faster.

2) Tape the line with masking tape, centered on the line.

3) I used a Dremel with a metal diamond tipped cutting disc. Cut like butter at high speed. Extremely clean cut.

Done deal.

Chop saw, or take a thick piece of aluminum (over say 1/4" ) and a wide enough cold chisel and give it one good smack with a very heavy sledge hammer. It should shear it clean. This works well with the smaller diameter braided lines.

I saw a video from a professional shop (might be on youtube) where the technician used a sharp woodworking chisel and hammer to cut cleanly through the hose in one hammer strike. Left a nice clean edge with no braid fraying. Looks like a great way to cut hose to me. (And affords me a reason to buy a set of chisels.) :rolleyes:

I saw a video from a professional shop (might be on youtube) where the technician used a sharp woodworking chisel and hammer to cut cleanly through the hose in one hammer strike. Left a nice clean edge with no braid fraying. Looks like a great way to cut hose to me. (And affords me a reason to buy a set of chisels.) :rolleyes:

This may be the video that you are referring to:

http://www.anplumbing.com/installation.html

I cut mine like this with no problems.

Is there any way you could get a section of hose to practice on? Anyone around you building an RV-6A who might have some extra hose you could borrow? 'Cause that's what I'd do....

:)

Back