What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen LED strobe shielding

Good morning,
About a year ago I fitted a set of the Whelen Orion 650E and Orion 500 tail/strobe to my RV7A. All good and very happy with them. However, I wonder if anyone can help with a wiring/technical query.

I fitted these to replace HID legacy Whelen lights. At the time I just reconnected all wires as they were, bundled everything together and sealed up the back. At the moment I have the back of the aircraft opened up and am looking at tidying up the wiring.
This question (that is coming….) is also aimed at trying to sort out a second issue we have.
At the same time I fitted these, I also fitted a Dynon EMS unit and Garmin autopilot system. Since that time we are experiencing a whining strobe noise when the alternator is on. It quietly pulses in time with the strobes. No alt or strobe noise previously.Headset sockets isolated, alt serviced. Might try an inline noise filter on the "comms in" wire next.

So, looking at tidying up the wiring…I have connected the original 3 core/shielded wires of the three lights together together behind the luggage bulkhead. From there the live and ground wires are connected to single unshielded wires running to the panel. However, with the shield wires...they are currently connected into that common ground return wire returning to the panel for all the light units.
Is this arrangement right, or should the shield wires be separated from the lights ground wire?
Could this be causing the strobe/alt whine?

I did read a while back that the LED lights wiring does not need to be shielded but at the time I just left the shields connected as I found them.

Any help before I go cutting wires would be appreciated. I'm guessing it is either...it is okay and working so leave alone, or, Nooo..disconnect the shields altogether.
Thanks in anticipation

Good morning,
About a year ago I fitted a set of the Whelen Orion 650E and Orion 500 tail/strobe to my RV7A. All good and very happy with them. However, I wonder if anyone can help with a wiring/technical query.

I fitted these to replace HID legacy Whelen lights. At the time I just reconnected all wires as they were, bundled everything together and sealed up the back. At the moment I have the back of the aircraft opened up and am looking at tidying up the wiring.
This question (that is coming….) is also aimed at trying to sort out a second issue we have.
At the same time I fitted these, I also fitted a Dynon EMS unit and Garmin autopilot system. Since that time we are experiencing a whining strobe noise when the alternator is on. It quietly pulses in time with the strobes. No alt or strobe noise previously.Headset sockets isolated, alt serviced. Might try an inline noise filter on the "comms in" wire next.

So, looking at tidying up the wiring…I have connected the original 3 core/shielded wires of the three lights together together behind the luggage bulkhead. From there the live and ground wires are connected to single unshielded wires running to the panel. However, with the shield wires...they are currently connected into that common ground return wire returning to the panel for all the light units.
Is this arrangement right, or should the shield wires be separated from the lights ground wire?
Could this be causing the strobe/alt whine?

I did read a while back that the LED lights wiring does not need to be shielded but at the time I just left the shields connected as I found them.

Any help before I go cutting wires would be appreciated. I'm guessing it is either...it is okay and working so leave alone, or, Nooo..disconnect the shields altogether.
Thanks in anticipation

Hello sir, I would recommend against using the original wires that were previously used for xenon strobes. You will want to run a twisted pair of shielded 18 gauge wire which is grounded at both ends. Do not run those wires in parallel with anything else such as a magnetometer. If the noise persists then you will want to use a noise filter off the alternator.

Thank you for buying our products

Jayde Machado
[email protected]

Back