What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Dual AHARS failure

I’m getting dual AHARS failure flags in flight. My ADI will tumble and if the autopilot is connected it will chase it straight into the ground if I let it. GRT thinks it’s a software issue but I think it’s hardware. I definitely can’t fly it in IMC conditions. Considering everything I’m considering pulling it out and replacing it with an AFS and either a new GTN 750 or the avidyne equivalent. my 430W won’t pick up the ILS glideslope until below the DH making it almost as worthless as the EFIS. I’ve also had radio issues with the 430 and the sl30, and lost all transmit capability during one flight from Alabama to Arkansas with family in the plane. It’s a low time RV-10 that was built with cheap systems and likely cheaper wiring and hardware. Luckily I’ll have equity in it if I replace everything with higher quality. Looking for suggestions..

May not be the equipment but a poorly wired panel. Here’s three entities to talk with about your problems. Aerotronics (VAF advertiser), SteinAir (VAF advertiser), and Walt at Experimental Aircraft Services (VAF advertiser). All three have good reputations with follow on service.

+1. There’s nothing ‘cheap’ about GRT, a 430W or an SL30 (finest nav com ever built, imho). Given all your problems, I’d say you’re on the right track - wiring. I’d start by looking at the coax and the connectors from the 430 GS input to the splitter or gs antenna.

I had a similar issue and used an electrical cleaner for Sub-D pins, cleaned both Sub-D connectors on the AHARS and brought both back on line.

I just had a somewhat similar issue. Dual HxR's, Dual AHRS, Dual Magnetometers. Would not recognize AHRS #1, but still had AHRS2. Found out I had a bad ground connection going to magnetometer #1, which was located aft of the baggage bulkhead.

You have really good equipment, but

if one is looking to do a new panel, we can always find a reason to have the latest "goodies" (not that I have ever!).

I agree that your problems are probably not hardware.

Ron

Rip it out!

My 2c.. enjoy life with a state of the art panel, pull it all out and start over with something like this and you will never look back, extra bonus is airplane value has a major increase.

IMG_0904 (2).jpg

+1 it's probably wiring, as the faults span multiple avionics boxes and vendors. Just curious if you're able to take a picture behind the panel and post it. Neat wiring is not always proper wiring and vice versa, but it could be interesting to see.

I’m getting dual AHARS failure flags in flight. My ADI will tumble and if the autopilot is connected it will chase it straight into the ground if I let it. GRT thinks it’s a software issue but I think it’s hardware. I definitely can’t fly it in IMC conditions. Considering everything I’m considering pulling it out and replacing it with an AFS and either a new GTN 750 or the avidyne equivalent. my 430W won’t pick up the ILS glideslope until below the DH making it almost as worthless as the EFIS. I’ve also had radio issues with the 430 and the sl30, and lost all transmit capability during one flight from Alabama to Arkansas with family in the plane. It’s a low time RV-10 that was built with cheap systems and likely cheaper wiring and hardware. Luckily I’ll have equity in it if I replace everything with higher quality. Looking for suggestions..

Built in central Florida by any chance?

Bad ground is such a basic problem and insidious killer...definitely would relook all terminations. My GRT/430/SL30 setup has been rock steady for 14 years now. ILS/LPV approaches to mins many times without worry.

First in line to take icky, cheap, GRT, 430, and SL equipment off your hands....will cover shipping. :D

Bad ground is such a basic problem and insidious killer...definitely would relook all terminations. My GRT/430/SL30 setup has been rock steady for 14 years now. ILS/LPV approaches to mins many times without worry.

same here, but 6 years and 750 hours. I would consider a full re-wire before swapping components.

Larry

GRT AHRS

I've flown a Dual AHRS from GRT for 13 years and 1865 Hrs, including hard IFR conditions, and NEVER once saw the AHRS glitch...... You definitely have a wiring issue...

Back