What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cool Photo & Cool Morning Temps

TomVal

Well Known Member
Yesterday I was headed to an EAA Chapter 477 (KRBW-Walterboro, SC) Young Eagles event. They were expecting 30 Boy Scouts. This particular chapter does a fantastic job in organizing these events and having YE groups of 30 is not unusual.

So here I am at the hangar at 0650L, about 30 minutes before sunrise for my launch. I pointed the car at the hangar door with the lights on so that I could see the keyhole to unlock the door. When the car lights hit the airplane I wasn't expecting the somewhat surreal affect the lights had on the colors of the -12.

https://flic.kr/p/2hub8gm

Temps on climb out was 52F and the air was smooth and clear. RBW is only a 20 minute flight. Fore Flight said fuel burn to be 1 gallon. Cruised at 1500' with a fuel burn of 3.8 gph...much better than the one hour drive in our Lexus!

Had a great time with the scouts and the catered BBQ afterwards was terrific. What a great day!

Last edited:
Great pic Tom! I suspect the "Tweets" you flew were painted (if at all) differently when you went thru UPT.

Great pic Tom! I suspect the "Tweets" you flew were painted (if at all) differently when you went thru UPT.

Jim,

Actually my tour in the Tweets was only during pilot training however the birds, sans insignia, were still unpainted. I stole the paint job from later era Tweets flown out of Randolph AFB, TX.

Nice pic! Here it is:

48889238278_e6b312cdf6_b.jpg

Carl,

Thanks for the upload!

Back