What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Connector Between Fuse and Wings

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy Everyone. I want to work on the fuselage wiring and use some type of connector so I can electrically mate the wings to it later on during final assembly. I originally wanted to use a simple D-sub connection, but I have some 16 and 14 AWG wires. I would prefer a single connection for all 13 wires mixed with 20 to 14 AWG.

I have looked at Digikey, but find that site hard to use. Just curious what others have done and a source to find connectors.

I want to stay away from a simple terminal block with wire tabs.

Much obliged.

Sorry I don’t have a picture

One solution is to split the larger diameter wires into multiple pinned wires that are inserted into the Dsub, CPC or Deutsch connector. A #14 wire could be split into 2#16 or 3 #18 wires, for example. We generally use a solder sleeve but you could solder and heat shrink or possibly use a butt splice. You do the same thing on both sides of the connector, using pins or sockets as appropriate.

I measure the wiring on the wing slightly long so the connections can be stuffed inside the fuselage floor after the wings are mated to the fuse.

For electrical connections, I am using the Molex connectors. The Molex connectors come in different sizes and I use the 6-pin connector so I can group all the nav light, strobes, and landing lights into one connector. For the Dynon roll servo and the magnetometer, I use the D-Sub connectors are called out by the Dynon wiring instructions.

Mouser is a great supplier (www.mouser.com)

Take a look at Tyco/TE CPC Series 2 stuff -- uses D-Sub Size 20 (M39029/64-369 and M39029/63-368 f.k.a. M24308/11-1 and 10-1) pins and sockets

As stated elsewhere, If you need a large wire for higher current carrying, split the wire into 2 or 3 smaller wires at the connector -- (eg. 1 - 16ga -> 2 - 20ga...)

Last edited:
Molex vs deutsch

I used Deutsch connectors and used three pins for the pitot heat wiring and single pin for the other stuff.
I would frown away from the Molex connectors. At my day job we are always having trouble with them in high current applications. The Deutsch are sooooo much more reliable. In the old days, we used to use the Molex quite a bit because any corner electronics store would have them. Now days, there are no more corner stores, so might as well web shop the Deutsch.

How often are the wings removed? You might consider a service loop with soldered or crimped splices.

...and

I built everything I could at my home shop. The Deutschland connectors allowed me to complete, test, and troubleshoot all the wing wiring before even going to the airport.

When I did get it to the airport, connecting the pre tested wings was a matter of plugging the connectors in.

+1 or 10 on the Deutsch connectors.

Use the DTM series for the small wire low amp (up to 7.5amp) connections.

Use the DT series for the higher amp (up to 13amp) connections.

The stamped connections work just fine. And all the bodies of the connectors have provisions for a mounting plate like this (one size plate fits all). E6000 adhesive works great for mounting these.

Last edited:
Wing harness through grommet in fuselage side, ring connectors screwed to a terminal block as is the body harness. Weather proof, easy, cheap, fool proof, secure- but oh so old school.

Back