What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a 10 filed as

Flightaware has something you might like

From the main page at flightaware.com, you can pull down the "live flight tracking" menu and pick "browse by aircraft type." There, in order of the number of each aircraft type, is a count of aircraft currently "in the system" covering most of the globe. Some countries dont participate and many VFRs not "in." Scroll down to see more GA aircraft types. Always a few RVs, seems like mostly 7 and 10s. (You can ctrl-F search for "RV" and get all models.)

Amazes me that, at most any time I look, there are as many as 2000 737s (maybe 2000 if you count all 737 models) and close to 2000 Airbus A320s airborne.

For any type on the listing, click the type and get a map of where there are. From there, you can click a particular flight to get specific flight data (speed, altitude, route, etc.) More ADS-B, more data, less privacy.

Last edited:
I see what I did. While setting up my account in fly Garmin I typed RV-10. It accepted RV10. When you contact the tower, do you use the term Experimental with your tail number or specify RV10 with your tail number. The CFI who checked me off would contact the tower with " Experimental (with tail number). And thanks.......

For Tower/ground on initial contact I use Experimental RV 728TT. On Subsequent calls I omit the Experimental. For calls to app/dep/center I just use RV 728TT.

Here's the wording out of my OPLIMS: "The pilot in command of this aircraft must notify air traffic control of the experimental nature of this aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operational control tower. When fling Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), the experimental nature of is aircraft must be listed in the remarks section of the flight plan."

Last edited:
I use to use Experimental 14MW for initial calls. Now I us RV14MW on all calls.
Had approach reply back to me once as Army14MW. I guess they sound close to the same. I quickly corrected them. I guess my speed made me look just like a F16.

Great resource Bob. Isn't there also a generic "experimental" designation. I seem to recall one for TAS less than 250 knots and one for greater than. The designation "HBX" sticks in my mind.

For the record, I prefer it when pilots use the "RV#" designation. That makes it more fun when flight following. :)

According to FAA Order 7360.1 Effective Date: 09-25-2015 section 1-5 (a).
"The aircraft type designators for amateur-built/experimental aircraft (HXA, HXB, and HXC) are no longer used because ICAO assigns a designator if the aircraft is anticipated to request air traffic services. The ICAO designator ZZZZ will now be used for aircraft that have not (yet) been assigned a unique aircraft type designator."

There is a NEWER version of 7360.1 out and there is NO reference to HXA, HXB, or HXC.

This is standard experience for me

Had approach reply back to me once as Army14MW. I guess they sound close to the same. I quickly corrected them. I guess my speed made me look just like a F16.

You have to say the type really slowly or they'll come back with "Army..."

Beats me how they think "Army tree zero yankee delta experimental" could ever be a thing, but they do... :cool:

I use 'experimental" for all ATC calls - about 20% of the time I get "RV" in response but I always say "experimental".

For calls at uncontrolled airports I use "RV10" without my N-number. Might add "Red & White" if I think it would be useful.

FYI

Barring specific instructions in your OPLIMS this is what you are "supposed" to do.

For filing a US FAA flight plan, use the official Aircraft Type Designator found in the FAA/ICAO list. If your aircraft doesn't have an official designator then use ZZZZ. It recommended you enter the word EXPERIMENTAL in the remarks section of the flight plan request.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary...6_Order_7360.1C_Aircraft_Type_Designators.pdf

When talking to US ATC, use the term "EXPERIMENTAL" (example: EXPERIMENTAL 819PR) for initial check in. After that nothing in the rules prohibit you from using RVXXX but it might create some confusion. I personally stay with EXPERIMENTAL XXX.

When flying international: File the flight plan the same as you would with the US FAA. When talking with ATC, use NOVEMBER and the call sign (example: NOVEMBER 819PR) at all times. This minimizes ATC concerns, and some controllers have them, about the experimental nature of our airplanes.

YMMV

Last edited:

This is exactly what I do as well.

Using "RV" vs. "Experimental" for all calls lets everyone know what type of performance to expect. "Experimental" could be everything from a Cub-a-Like to a ViperJet.

BTW Mark, I do like using your N-number as well, it keeps me out of trouble. ;)

It recommended you enter the word EXPERIMENTAL in the remarks section of the flight plan request.

It's optional for a VFR flight plan, but not necessarily for an IFR one. It depends on your OPLIMS. As I posted above here's the exact wording out of my OPLIMS:

"The pilot in command of this aircraft must notify air traffic control of the experimental nature of this aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operational control tower. When filing Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), the experimental nature of is aircraft must be listed in the remarks section of the flight plan."

It's optional for a VFR flight plan, but not necessarily for an IFR one. It depends on your OPLIMS.
You are 100% correct. Barring specific instructions in your OPLIMS, then my previous post is what you are "supposed" to do. What you actually do is your responsibility.

I updated my previous post to reflect this.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back