What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing Edge Question

PilotRPI

How many of you have used the pro seal method, and how many have used the tape method?

Also, what type of angle should I use to cleco it down, and is that something I ask for in my tail kit order from Vans, or source it from somewhere other?

Thank you,

Jesse

Pro Seal

Hi Jesse-

I just went through this process a few months back, and I found good results with pro seal. I applied pro seal to the trailing edge wedge using a plastic knife (the serrated plastic knife helped apply a nice thin layer). I then clecoed the entire assembly to a piece of 1/4 inch steel angle iron to let dry. After a few days - the longer the better - I took the clecos out and riveted according to the instructions. Just take it nice and slow, and you will have a nice straight trailing edge.

Also, I got the angle iron from a local store.

Best,
Ethan

Proseal

How many of you have used the pro seal method, and how many have used the tape method?

Also, what type of angle should I use to cleco it down, and is that something I ask for in my tail kit order from Vans, or source it from somewhere other?

Thank you,

Jesse

I ised Proseal. Clekoed to a 2"X2"X6' aluminum angle available at most hardware box stores.

I tried proseal the first time, and didnt like my results...but it was my mistake, because i didnt get a thin, even layer on it. Turned out really wavy.

So i reordered new skins and used the 3m tape second time. MUCH happier with this method...quick, strong, and no mess. Came out perfectly straight

Tape method

I used the tape method as I did not want to buy proseal so early in my build. I knew it was going to expire before I would get to the tanks (i didn't know anyone I could borrow a little from at the time).

The tape method worked very well. My trailing edge is bone straight but due to lack of sufficient countersink depth its not a sharp edge. I will have to fill it with proseal or adhesive. But...from what I read...It's advantageous to have the rudder trailing edge a tad blunt.

One thing you need to be careful of is that the tape is unforgiving.
Once you stick it down for the rudder....that's pretty much it.m No second tries where proseal will let you do this.

I would use the tape method again, however I think the proseal is a bit more forgiving for the new builder. I was sweating bullets when I applied mine.

I ised Proseal. Clekoed to a 2"X2"X6' aluminum angle available at most hardware box stores.

Yeah, me too. PLUS......That piece of aluminum angle got used continuosly throughout the build. Mostly as a long straight edge. It finally disappeared as the last few inches were turned into a pair of lightweight chocks. Full circle. Appropriate I thought. (No there is no architectural angle actually included in my RV structure)

proseal

bought aluminum angle at home depot 1.5" x 1.5" x 7 feet
bought 1oz proseal from vans
applied thin left four days and results are perfect just removing clecos now
they come out easy, little proseal to clean out of some dimples edge is thin and true all along its length

Back