What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X non-touch Upgrade

lr172

Well Known Member
Garmin released a non-touch upgrade a few months ago. I would like to do the update, but there were several posts from folks that had problems and had to go back to the previous version. Are there any folks out there that have done this upgrade without problems? Not sure if what I read is representative of the larger population.

Thanks,

Larry

I did the 12.10 update in November without issue.
I did see the posts you are refering to and I was thinking it was related to a LRU I don't have.

Larry,

If you have the GTN650 (or possibly the 750) and use the VNAV function, you wont be happy with the update. If you don't use VNAV and don't mind ignoring the warning flag each time you boot up, then do the update.

I've talked to TeamX and its a software issue but they gave no time frame for the next update that will fix the problem.

Larry,

If you have the GTN650 (or possibly the 750) and use the VNAV function, you wont be happy with the update. If you don't use VNAV and don't mind ignoring the warning flag each time you boot up, then do the update.

I've talked to TeamX and its a software issue but they gave no time frame for the next update that will fix the problem.

Thanks.

430W here, so no VNAV. I assume all else worked well?

Larry

Software 12.10

Garmin released a non-touch upgrade a few months ago. I would like to do the update, but there were several posts from folks that had problems and had to go back to the previous version. Are there any folks out there that have done this upgrade without problems? Not sure if what I read is representative of the larger population.

Thanks,

Larry

In addition to the VNAV issue already mentioned, there is one other problem you may see with this software load. TIS-A Traffic can be provided by a GTX 23ES transponder via ARINC 429. The port configuration is made automatically by the G3X, and in this case the port is misconfigured. So if you are sending TIS-A traffic from your GTX transponder directly to your GNS 430, it will not work. These have both been addressed for the next revision. If either of these apply to your system, we recommend waiting until the next revision is released to correct these problems.

Thanks,

Justin

Sorry Larry for the late response but seems like others have answered.
I remember now, I do get the warning on my GTN650 now. It will be good to get rid of it when the next update comes about.

I had one other issue with 12.1 but (to me) it's minor. You can load a frequency into a VHF com or nav from the airport info on the WPT page. Mine quit doing it with 12.1 and I back-loaded 12.0 to verify the problem. Garmin has worked with me on this one too. I don't have the other problems because I don't have an IFR GPS. The other faults seem more troublesome so I hope they do another update fairly soon.

In addition to the VNAV issue already mentioned, there is one other problem you may see with this software load. TIS-A Traffic can be provided by a GTX 23ES transponder via ARINC 429. The port configuration is made automatically by the G3X, and in this case the port is misconfigured. So if you are sending TIS-A traffic from your GTX transponder directly to your GNS 430, it will not work. These have both been addressed for the next revision. If either of these apply to your system, we recommend waiting until the next revision is released to correct these problems.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the info. This is interesting. I have a 430W and a 23ES. I configured TIS-A when I set it up, but did not connect any Arinc ports on the 23, Just the 232 connection to the 24 and 232 from the 430W. I believe that I am getting TIS-A data to the LRU, as whenever I leave the Chicago area, I get a message telling me that there is no longer valid TIS-A information available. Will this go away as well?

Prior to 12.1, there were some updaates to the GDL39 s/w to improve traffic/wx and this is mostly what I want from the upgrade. Are these improvements significant, or am I not missing much.

Larry

Back