What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Intake Tube on IO-390

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I'm probably not the first person to run into this snag. I have the IO-390 engine (the old 210 hp recommended model) on my RV-14. I want to install the sump return fitting for my air-oil separator. I didn't notice until today that the #1 intake tube is going to interfere with installing the 90-degree return fitting for the separator, at least in the forward right sump plug where I believe it needs to go.

Of course, I installed the exhaust system just a week ago and then noticed the problem now.

Does anyone know if the #1 intake tube can be removed with the exhaust headers in place, or do I need to pull the exhaust system first?

Return it to #13.

Accessory%20case%20drain%20point.JPG

Thank you! I'll have to get a new fitting since I have the kind with the extended tube, but I think your suggested location makes even more sense for getting the oil back into the sump.

After staring at the engine from many angles on several occasions, I decided to stick with the original location for the oil return fitting. The reason is that the fitting on the accessory housing pictured above in this thread is in a tight spot and appears to be a different size, so there would be cascading changes to my plan for the oil separator installation.

I removed the exhaust headers from cylinders 3 and 4 to allow that part of the exhaust system to drop down a few inches, then removed the intake pipe from cylinder 1 and installed the return fitting. It went smoothly for now, as long as nothing decides to leak on me later.

The only real hassle is that I need to get some more MS35333-41 washers since there seem to only be 8 in the RV-14 kit and I know you're not supposed to re-use those.

Onward and upward!

Back