What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X AOA calibration

rcarsey

Well Known Member
Could someone post a photo of their AOA calibration menu screen (MENU > Setup > AOA Calibration.

I've been trying to get my AOA set up for awhile and it always ends up saying that the configuration is invalid. I'd like to see what others have as the measurements listed in the Stall Warning / Caution / Min Visible menu options.

At this point, I just don't know if the readings I'm seeing are in line with what they should be.

Could someone post a photo of their AOA calibration menu screen (MENU > Setup > AOA Calibration.

I've been trying to get my AOA set up for awhile and it always ends up saying that the configuration is invalid. I'd like to see what others have as the measurements listed in the Stall Warning / Caution / Min Visible menu options.

At this point, I just don't know if the readings I'm seeing are in line with what they should be.

Did you follow the G3X IM guide on performing them in correct order during calibration?

AOA Calibration

Hey Rob,

If you are able to, send us a screenshot of the values you are generating at the [email protected] email address. We will be able to help sort through the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

I just set up AOA this week. Unfortunately I didn't take screenshots while doing it but I can tell you that using autopilot, specifically the IAS, made it very easy. I had a safety pilot that was monitoring for traffic as I worked on the setup. Here are the steps I used:

1. Before flight I went into configuration mode and turned off ESP.
2. Climbed to 3,000 feet AGL then turned on autopilot and used indicated airspeed slowly dialing in the speeds for each of the three settings.
3. First setting was minimum visible AOA (the bottom green line). It was recommended to be 1.5x stall speed. Clean stall being 45kt I dialed up 67kts on the autopilot IAS and let it settle in to a smooth constant speed then pressed calibrate, then start, then done.
4. Next is caution alert AOA (the first yellow chevron). It is recommended to be 1.1x stall speed. I dialed in 50kts on the autopilot AOA and let it settle in to a smooth constant speed the pressed calibrate, then start, then done.
5. Last to set is the stall warning AOA (the uppermost red chevron). I dialed the autopilot IAS one knot at a time pushing the plane into a stall and just before the break of the stall I pressed calibrate, then start, then done.

If you have the G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual (190-01115-01_an) instructions, with screenshots, begin on page 703 (35.4.9) and go through page 715.

Jay

Disable AOA

Is there a way to completely mute or disable the AOA? Mine is annoying. The tone goes off when I am taxiing at 20 MPH, sometimes on base leg at 70 kts, and always, always on landing and takeoff. The tones are bogus and I'd just like to shut them off.

Annoying ??

First properly set-up there is a way to mute the AOA below a certain air speed. Second properly calibrated, trained and used AOA is a life saver. Why would anyone want this disabled? It's also a great tool to indicate the proper landing speed saving tire wear and possible nose wheel shimmy. Sure you can turn it off, read the user manual. Not sure whose systems you are using.

Last edited:
Is there a way to completely mute or disable the AOA? Mine is annoying. The tone goes off when I am taxiing at 20 MPH, sometimes on base leg at 70 kts, and always, always on landing and takeoff. The tones are bogus and I'd just like to shut them off.

Bogus? Likely not set up correctly. If it is set up correctly, then you ought to respect those “bogus” tones…they may save your life.

I've been trying to get my AOA set up for awhile and it always ends up saying that the configuration is invalid.

Section 35.4.9 of the installation manual tells you, in part:

For the calibration to be valid:
• The stall warning AOA calibration value (resultant from the calibration procedure) must be greater than the minimum visible AOA calibration value
• The caution alert AOA calibration value (resultant from the calibration procedure) must be greater than the minimum visible AOA calibration value and less than the stall warning AOA calibration value

Roughly speaking, the values of your "green", "yellow", and "red" points must be arranged in order, and if they're not the system will consider the calibration to be invalid.

Last edited:
If you have the G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual (190-01115-01_an) instructions, with screenshots, begin on page 703 (35.4.9) and go through page 715.

Jay

I have 190-01115-01. Missing the "_an", dated Sept 2022. Is that the latest? The screen shots in the manual do not match my G3X.

Would appreciate a link to the right copy. Cannot find anything different than what I have on Garmin site. Thank you.

I have 190-01115-01. Missing the "_an", dated Sept 2022. Is that the latest? The screen shots in the manual do not match my G3X.

Would appreciate a link to the right copy. Cannot find anything different than what I have on Garmin site. Thank you.

The latest G3X manuals can always be found by going to the relevant product page and scrolling down to the button that says Manuals, which takes you to this link. At the present time the current installation manual revision is AQ. The revision letters for any manual are always printed right on the first page.

The latest G3X manuals can always be found by going to the relevant product page and scrolling down to the button that says Manuals, which takes you to this link. At the present time the current installation manual revision is AQ. The revision letters for any manual are always printed right on the first page.

Thank you! Got it.

Back