- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:39 PM

Default GTR200 issue

Well, Steve and and I have been comparing notes and we have the exact same problem. Oddly enough we just shared pictures of our cockpit configurations and they are almost identical. We both are running a GDU460, with a stack in the middle with a autopilot controller on top (507), the GTR200 in the middle, and a Garmin 375 on the bottom. Single radio setup with the GTR as the intercom. Ive been in contact a little bit with Garmin but so far no luck. If anyone else out there is having the same issue please contact me or Steve T. We would love to compare notes and get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:51 AM

It looks like you've tried everything we've all suggested, so here's something even further "out there" to try... How about reorganizing where the radio is with respect to everything else in the panel? i.e. pull the tray, drop it down below everything and (temporarily) hang it there with a webbing strap or something. i.e. get it away from the rest of your avionics.

This requires that you have enough of a service loop in your wiring to accomplish this, of course.

Alternately, maybe pulling other things nearby out instead? What comes out easily? the Garmin 375, maybe?

And to be clear, what I think you'd be testing by doing this is the possibility that there is some RF somewhere leaking between devices and causing issues.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Maybe try turning bluetooth off.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-21-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Maybe try turning bluetooth off.
I will try this today on my return trip.
AUO
Old 10-24-2021, 06:37 PM

Well, considering that my GTR is the non bluetooth version I doubt the bluetooth from the radio is the cause.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:48 AM

Default #Me Too

I just experienced this same issue yesterday for the first time while talking with CLT ATC. I had to turn off squelch to hear them after I realized what was happening and I remembered this thread. I had been in direct communication with ATC when all of a sudden started missing their calls.

I have a single G3, GTR200B, GNX375, GMC507. Radio is 3 months in service, 55 total hours.

Question:
Has anyone found the smoking gun on the squelch/receive issue?

On a different note:
Prior to the receive/squelch problem experience yesterday, I have been having numerous transmit issue regarding ATC asking me to repeat my initial transmission. This has been happening since first flight. I have tied different headsets, a HALO, BOSE X, Lightspeed, and now a CQ. This happens intermittently they seem to not understand my initial transmission and I usually follow up with a how do you hear this transmitter? ATC typically responds with 5x4 or 5x5, so Im confused on whats causing this issue. Recently I dropped the mic gain from default 5 to 4 to see if that will help, bit only have two flights since the adjustment
Old 11-14-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR60 View Post
I just experienced this same issue yesterday for the first time while talking with CLT ATC. I had to turn off squelch to hear them after I realized what was happening and I remembered this thread. I had been in direct communication with ATC when all of a sudden started missing their calls.

I have a single G3, GTR200B, GNX375, GMC507. Radio is 3 months in service, 55 total hours.

Question:
Has anyone found the smoking gun on the squelch/receive issue?

On a different note:
Prior to the receive/squelch problem experience yesterday, I have been having numerous transmit issue regarding ATC asking me to repeat my initial transmission. This has been happening since first flight. I have tied different headsets, a HALO, BOSE X, Lightspeed, and now a CQ. This happens intermittently they seem to not understand my initial transmission and I usually follow up with a how do you hear this transmitter? ATC typically responds with 5x4 or 5x5, so Im confused on whats causing this issue. Recently I dropped the mic gain from default 5 to 4 to see if that will help, bit only have two flights since the adjustment
Hi Mark,

Check your PMs
AUO
Old 11-19-2021, 09:24 AM

So that is three of us with the exact same issue. We have compared photos of our configuration and they are exactly the same. One GDU460 with a center stack of a GMC507, a GTR200, and a GNX375 - in that order. I can see 2 being a coincidence and 3? Something is wrong with this Garmin configuration.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Maybe try turning off the 375 and see what happens?

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-19-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoAV8tor View Post
So that is three of us with the exact same issue. We have compared photos of our configuration and they are exactly the same. One GDU460 with a center stack of a GMC507, a GTR200, and a GNX375 - in that order. I can see 2 being a coincidence and 3? Something is wrong with this Garmin configuration.
Since there are likely thousands of people using the very popular GMC 507, GTR 200, and GNX 375 with a G3X Touch system, having a few people with poor reception is probably not evidence of a problem with this combination of equipment.

Just as another point of comparison, I have a G3X Touch system with the GMA 245, GTR 200, GMC 507, and GNX 375 in my stack and don't have this problem. Admittedly, I have the GTR 200 and GNX 375 separated by the GMC 507.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LGEZRadioStack.png
Views:	7
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	18458

Steve