What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I have been working on my panel design for a while and now that HDX is now available I have it placed in my 3D CAD design. The new Knob and Button area that is angled outward, sticks out almost a 1.25" from the panel. (More than desirable). I have rows of toggle switches and switch guards below the HDX units and they are some what obscured by this.

I have changed my design with the HDX units set back into the panel .375" with a Z shape bracket to mount the HDX and it looks much better. The width of the Dynon CAD model shows the HDX bezel to be 10.315". I want the panel opening to fit nicely so I'm wondering if the actual HDX bezel is close to this size. Does anybody have a Dynon HDX that can measure the overall width pretty accurately?

I would like to cut my panel soon and plan to order my Dynon stuff later this summer.

Thanks.

Steve

Are you setting it back to set flush with the panel? When I mounted mine I didn't like it at first, but the design is to have a finger or two on the edge while working the touch feature for stability, I like it now.

Hi Bret, That is a good point to consider... Right now it is set to stick out about 1/16". If it was 1/8" proud of the surface, do you think that would be enough to catch your figures on?

I don't think 1/8" would be enough to grab onto. I think there is a recess right behind the outer bezel so it's a contoured surface instead of just a flat surface. You could probably recess it so it doesn't stick out without much of a consequence, but in turbulence you may wish you had a bezel.

I'm not flying yet so, I'm not sure how much or lack of a ledge will work while using the touch mode in turbulence. Do you have the HDX yet?

Do you have the HDX yet?

Nope, that's why I'm asking for the measurement of the bezel width. Just want to verify it is made to the size of the Dynon CAD model.

If I can get my panel cut I can install it and begin doing some wiring.

Nope, that's why I'm asking for the measurement of the bezel width. Just want to verify it is made to the size of the Dynon CAD model.

If I can get my panel cut I can install it and begin doing some wiring.

I just measured my HDX with a meter stick, just a hair less than 262mm which is about 10.31". Since I don't have a caliper that big, there's a limit to how accurate that is. I'd say the 10.31" (262mm) dimension listed in the installation guide is indeed the number to use.

The "angled shelf" design of the HDX seems like a rather odd design choice for Dynon. It seems like an unnecessary "feature" given you don't really need a lip to stabilize your fingers on when you're using discrete buttons or knobs. A conventional flat panel with buttons or knobs at the bottom makes more sense to me functionally and visually.

The width of the Dynon CAD model shows the HDX bezel to be 10.315". I want the panel opening to fit nicely so I'm wondering if the actual HDX bezel is close to this size. Does anybody have a Dynon HDX that can measure the overall width pretty accurately?

Dynon's internal inspection of this part requires it to be 10.31" +/ 0.01". So the CAD model is correct.

The "angled shelf" design of the HDX seems like a rather odd design choice for Dynon. It seems like an unnecessary "feature" given you don't really need a lip to stabilize your fingers on when you're using discrete buttons or knobs. A conventional flat panel with buttons or knobs at the bottom makes more sense to me functionally and visually.

We thought the same thing when we came up with the idea which is why we prototyped it and put it in a few planes. Initial reactions from every pilot were "eww, I don't need that". It took about 45 minutes of flying with it to convert everyone, and now just about anyone that's flown it loves it. It really does make the product easier and better to use. It gives you a lower lip to stabilize your hand for using the touch screen, and the angle of the knobs is more natural for the way your wrist works. We also made the buttons flush with the surface so the motion of pressing a button is "down" not "in" which is much easier in turbulence. You can actually stabilize your finger on the shelf and then press a button instead of having to just lever your arm out in front of you and hit the right button with no support.

Overall, we went through about 20 prototype designs for HDX as we designed it, most without a shelf. This one won by a mile when we actually used it. We do admit that it's "different" than any EFIS before, but so are lots of ground breaking products.

Back