What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handling fiberglass make your hands itch?

BillL

Well Known Member
Making my plenums, I get a lot of hands-on time cutting all the blanks. I need finger tip dexterity and the tiny little glass cuttings eventually make the back of my hands itch. (hours of cutting and handling pieces)

I tried this barrier cream and it works great for me. It works with or w/o gloves.

If you are sensitive to the pricklies, it might work for you too.

IMG_5425.jpg

Edit: 1.SDS: "This Material does not contain Hazardous components according to the criteria of OSHA hazard communication standard."
2. It is not a substitute for gloves when mixing/using epoxy resins.
3. As noted below - it might not work for you.

Now I know why the first 80% of product instructions have listed exceptions. :)

Last edited:
I use barrier creams also but still glove up when working with fiberglass and epoxies. I think it was Burt Rutan that stated its not a matter of IF you have a allergic reaction to epoxy, but when will you develop them. It took a few years for me building the all composite scratch built Cozy MKIV, but I am now at the point that within minutes of mixing epoxy, my nose is running and I start itching. Its not just the fiberglass shards doing it.

I don't know whether to worry about chemical contamination or not.

We use very light cotton gloves, I think they are made to be glove liners. Keeps skin oils off the fabric, keeps itch to a minimum.

Used to work with all kinds of epoxies (had my mixing card) so was doing the mixing for the whole hanger. The only allergy I developed was for pro seal. I get a rash just waving my hand over the stuf, just once about 6 inches above. I now wear a respirator when around the stuf. And yes we always used the cotton gluves under our rubber ones. Then came prepreg. Whole different ball of wax. Just need cotton to protect against contamination.

I think it was Burt Rutan that stated its not a matter of IF you have a allergic reaction to epoxy, but when will you develop them. It took a few years for me building the all composite scratch built Cozy MKIV, but I am now at the point that within minutes of mixing epoxy, my nose is running and I start itching. Its not just the fiberglass shards doing it.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that an epoxy allergy manifested itself as a skin problem, like a rash or eczema. Never considered the possibility of epoxy sensitivity causing rhinitis...which I am plagued with on a regular basis.

Some people do develop respiratory sensitivity. But most people primarily get skin sensitivity.

Today's epoxy hardeners are a lot less nasty and alergenic than the older ones. Still, it is best not to get it on you. If you do get some skin contact, scrub with vinegar immediately. And if you are doing LARGE layups like a wing skin or fuselage half, it is good to wear a respirator, since you will probably be breathing it for an hour+.

Also epoxy is a strong endocrine disruptor ( it was after all originally developed as a synthetic hormone) So we recommend not having women who are pregnant or may become pregnant in the near future handle epoxy at all.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that an epoxy allergy manifested itself as a skin problem, like a rash or eczema. Never considered the possibility of epoxy sensitivity causing rhinitis...which I am plagued with on a regular basis.

My building buddy had respiratory issues right from the start. Mine took a few years to develop, but we were building in the basement at the time where fresh air ventilation isn't very good. Last week I was doing some some epoxy work on the snorkel plug in my hanger, and it started in there even with the bi-fold door open. I'm not wearing a respirator for that. Just a few minutes and my nose starts flowing. The itching and rash begins from direct skin contact with both the wet epoxy, and sanding cured. Using West system right now, but MGS will do the same thing. Its annoying at best.

A friend of mine was building his first Lancair when he developed a strange reaction to epoxy, all his fingernails started growing crooked and deformed. I don't think they ever returned to normal after more than 20 years.

Please wear a mask when working with fiberglass. You don't want to be the guy who - 20 years later- is diagnosed with nodules in your lungs.

Back