What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which GPS Source

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
For the avionics guru's.
I have a GDL39 hardwired to a Aera 796 and bluetooth'd to Garmin Pilot on a iPad 11 pro cellular version (with GPS). Each device has a GPS chip but which source would be used to drive aircraft position on an approach chart on Garmin Pilot on the iPad. Also which is the best GPS source among the 3 devices.

If I add a 375 I assume it would become the GPS source for everything, is that correct.

Figs

Figs,

In your installation, the GDL 39 uses GPS data from the stand alone Aera 796 GPS navigator.

I don't have any experience using an iPad in an airplane, but it is my understanding that Garmin Pilot uses the GPS data from the GDL 39 (provided by the Aera 796 GPS navigator in this example).

If you were to hardwire a GDU 375 GPS navigator to the GDL 39, the GDL 39 would use GPS data from the GDU 375, not the GPS data provided by the Aera 796 over Bluetooth, since the hardwired GPS source has priority.

All GPS navigators use their own internal GPS receiver, so the Aera 796 GPS navigator would continue to use its own internal GPS receiver even when Bluetooth connected to the GDL 39.

Steve

Steve
Thanks, in your setup in the LongEZ do you use the 760 for geolocation on approach plates using its own GPS? Also are all the GPS chipsets similar in performance?
Thanks
Figs

Steve
Thanks, in your setup in the LongEZ do you use the 760 for geolocation on approach plates using its own GPS? Also are all the GPS chipsets similar in performance?
Thanks
Figs

Hi Figs,

Yes, as discussed in this thread, I use the Aera 760 connected to the GNX 375 to provide georeferenced approach plates and to display the curved paths, procedure turns, holding patterns, etc. provided to it over MapMX from the GNX 375. The Aera 760 uses its own GPS/GLONASS receivers even when receiving MapMX data from an IFR navigator.

All of the Garmin Aviation GPS receivers (even those in portables) utilize firmware optimized for the dynamics of flight and have similar performance.

Steve

760 and GDL82

Steve
Based on the GPS chips and firmware being similar performance, can the Aera 760 provide the GPS source to the GDL82 over the RS232 link similar to hooking up to a GNX 175 navigator, and if so what output format would need to be selected.
Figs

Steve
Based on the GPS chips and firmware being similar performance, can the Aera 760 provide the GPS source to the GDL82 over the RS232 link similar to hooking up to a GNX 175 navigator, and if so what output format would need to be selected.
Figs

Hi Figs,

To the best of my knowledge, the GDL 82 does not accept NMEA GPS data from a Garmin portable.

This shouldn't be a problem since the GDL 82 has a built-in GPS receiver and doesn't need to receive this data externally. Just add an antenna to the GDL 82.

Steve

Hi Figs,

To the best of my knowledge, the GDL 82 does not accept NMEA GPS data from a Garmin portable.

This shouldn't be a problem since the GDL 82 has a built-in GPS receiver and doesn't need to receive this data externally. Just add an antenna to the GDL 82.

Steve

Thanks, just trying to save $300 as I used the GDL82 antenna for the GNX375 install.

Thanks, just trying to save $300 as I used the GDL82 antenna for the GNX375 install.

Copy that. Don't forget to consider the GA 36 antenna as well as the GA 35 antenna when you are looking for a good deal.

GA 36

cf-lg.jpg

GA 35

cf-lg.jpg

The GA 36 is my personal favorite. Not aware of this antenna ever having any field issues.

Steve

Back