VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2022, 03:48 PM

Default Trying to be a new RV Owner

As an early # RV-4 owner I will try to answer some of your questions

------------------------------------------
Lights....I would really like to have lights on whatever one I get, not that I am going to venture off in the dark, but it does extend the flying day if necessary. I have looked at the FlyLED's stuff a bit. Looks good but are other options available? Will I need to change wing tips or are kits available for most tips. I am thinking there are only a few types of tips..?

Refer to TALTRUDA Post above, he covers all of your points

----------------
Electric trim....one had a manual trim, which is fine for flying but if I wanted to add an autopilot ie Garmin GMC 507, is it hard to modify an older 4 in this way? I wonder what the weight differential would be. The control head would be light as the servo. Removing the trim linkage would remove weight so I would suspect a negligible weight change...? Or am I wrong in that reasoning?

My RV-4 was originally equipped with manual trim but now has Pitch and Roll electric trim..I kept the Vans Manual Trim Cable and installed the servo where the manual trim handle used to be and it is working flawlessly..
Installing the servo in the back of the aircraft will be a better choice but a lot more work to retrofit..

---------------------------------------
Fuel Primer.....one had no fuel primer pump. O360 engine. Primer recommended? It has been flying for a long time without one but it seems from my limited research, a primer pump is common.

A manual fuel primer is an easy installation if you are handy with your hands..

---------------------------------
Props.....Most RV4's I have seen have wooden props. Is the reason for that cost or are there other reasons? I would feel better with aluminum but probably mostly cause all of my certified planes have had metal props.

My RV-4 now has a Catto 3 Bladded Carbon fiber with nickel leading edge but originally had a WARNKE wood prop, The difference in weight is minimal..

--------------------------------------
Rear rudder pedals.....I few I have looked at over the years have no rear rudder pedals. But some do. Are they hard to add to a built aircraft? I will be a relatively low time tail wheel flyer and totally new to aerobatics so it would be nice to have the security of a back seat pilot with rudder control. Or are they just generally in the way due to the small area in which they would go?

I have removal rear rudder pedals and rear throttle and they are easy to install/remove and add very little weight...They are easy to retrofit to a flying -4..
---------------------------------

If you're still looking for a nice RV-4, a friend of mine has one for sale in the Montreal area....

Good luck in your search, you're going to love the RV-4..

Bruno
Old 08-10-2022, 01:59 PM

Thanks all. Good information for me to ponder. I have not committed to one yet.

Another question. One I am looking at needs some TLC. I would like to take it to my home shop to work on for the winter. Is removing/reinstalling wings on an RV4 a big deal? I know the term is a relative question. I am pretty mechanical but never worked on an RV.

I have not seen any plans or construction manuals yet. That would probably help answer my question but you guys are so great....

Shawn
PA28-161
Flying RV4 project
Old 08-10-2022, 02:52 PM

Pulling the wings is easy and straight forward.
-pull flaps and ailerons
-Use 2 helpers (3 is better)
-need some means of support. Coolers with pillows and blankets or old sofa cushions work well.
-support both wings before you remove the first one
-wiggle up and down slightly at the wingtip while sliding it out.
I recommend leaving the empennage on for transport as the tail will be light with the wings off; don’t want it to accidentally dump over on its nose.
Buy the plans thumb drive from Van’s. Or wait til you are the owner and the builder number has been xfered: then download the plans for free.
Note that some of the plans revisions have been significant. The aft fuselage bulkhead/HS attach comes to mind. What you see in the current plans may not be reflected in the plane you end up with.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:40 PM

Thanks andoman!

That is exciting! Way easier to work on it here over the winter! Except for explaining to my wife why the house renovations are not moving forward and why I am in the shop so much...
PA28-161
Flying RV4 project
Old 08-10-2022, 05:46 PM

Default Winter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Thanks andoman!

That is exciting! Way easier to work on it here over the winter! Except for explaining to my wife why the house renovations are not moving forward and why I am in the shop so much...
And why the wings are in the Bedroom. That coffee table looks a whole lot like a horizontal tail. Are those airplane tires holding the door open?
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:25 PM

Ha!
I built and covered a set of Kitfox wings in the living room.
At least the aluminum won’t reek of MEK and Stits Poly-Brush… I still can’t believe I survived that one.
BEST WIFE EVER!!
Old 08-11-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Some autopilots (I have a Trio Pro) will drive electric trim, if available.
Very interesting - thanks Bob! My day is complete, I've learned something so can head back to bed. 😉
http://jdfinley.com
Videos
Old 10-04-2022, 06:16 PM

Default Lenses for lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post

You can add position lights externally to the wingtips, and cut the leading edge of the wings for landing lights using the duck work brackets and FLY LED 4 combo lights. I recently bought the clear lenses from Flyboys accessories and fiberglassed
I cannot find lenses on Flyboys. Do I have the wrong website?

https://flyboys.com/
PA28-161
Flying RV4 project
Old 10-04-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
I cannot find lenses on Flyboys. Do I have the wrong website?

https://flyboys.com/
Yup. Try here --> https://flyboyaccessories.com
Old 10-05-2022, 06:34 AM

Default Ah

Ah, Thanks. I was going to flyboys and then the accessories link.

Cheers
PA28-161
Flying RV4 project